Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scrolling iPad User Guide

I'm new to the iPad and have uploaded the iPad User Guide so I can have it close by for all the questions I have. In order to use this guide which has about 174 pages, how is the fastest way to go from page one to any of the 174 pages remaining? I see there is a small rectangular bar on the left side of the file but it does not respond when I try to move it. Trying to get from page 6 to 92 (e.g.) it takes a VERY long time doing it manually. Is there an easier way to do this? On my iMac Intel the problem does not exist since you can relocate the blue bar quickly.

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 6:46 AM

20 replies

Apr 25, 2011 3:53 AM in response to Randall De Trinis1

If you are reading the manual on the iPad and not your Mac, the user guide can be downloaded as a free book in iBooks ... not as a pdf. It is much easier to navigate through the chapters and pages as a book. Also the app, iBooks is a free app so you can download the free app and the free iPad user manual book.

When you read a book in the iBooks app you can scroll through the book by tapping on a bar that will appear at the bottom of the open book. You just slide the bar left or right to move forward in the book or to a previous spot.

There is also a search area in the upper right corner. A magnifying glass is the search icon and it looks like the icon for Spotlight in the Mac OSX so its easily recognizable.

I would recommend (and so would King Penguin) that you download the app and the book. They are both very handy to have. You can also save pdf files that you receive via email in iBooks and you can save the pdf files in the app as well.

To help get you started in iBooks ...To open a book in iBooks, simply tap on the book. To close the book and put it back on the shelf, tap the word Library (on the opened book) in the upper left corner.

Apr 25, 2011 5:17 AM in response to Randall De Trinis1

If you touch the Store button in the top left corner you should be taken into the store. Start typing in 'ipad user guide' in the search box in the top right, and then touch the 'ipad user guide' that appears in the suggestions below the search box. Not sure which country you are in, but here in the UK I get four books that meet the search text :

iPad User Guide

iPad User Guide For iOS 4.3

and a couple of paid-for books.

For iPad 2 get the second one (by touching the Free button next to it). You should then be returned from the Store to your iBooks library and the book will download - depending on your connection speed it might take upto about 30 seconds or so to download. When it's finished downloading, just touch the book and it will open. Along the bottom of the screen is a line of dots and a box which you can drag to move to a different page (to just move one page forward, or back, swipe the screen to the left, or right, as if you were turning real pages).

There's a FAQ for iBooks here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4059 which has some basic info about it. There is also a chapter about iBooks in the manual (chapter 12) that you've (hopefully) just downloaded.

Apr 26, 2011 5:27 AM in response to Apfelwurm

I like this option better than the other above. First of all, I do not know if the versions of the Guide offered by iBooks are as pertinent as the one I have in a PDF on my MAC which is iPad iOS4.2. (My iPad is a refurbished first generation). The ones on iBook do not exactly match that configuration.

I did get one from iBooks but find that paging through 174 pages to find an index not useful since the bar which should be below the book is not there and I cannot get to the index easily where as the PDF through Adobe Reader is much more easily used.

Still I tried to sync this copy through iTunes but haven't had any luck getting it to the iPad. A little more instruction is needed. Many thanks to you all.

Apr 26, 2011 5:36 AM in response to Randall De Trinis1

Have you got the copy that you want into iTunes on your computer ? If not then you can either use the File > Add File to Library menu option in iTunes to navigate and add it to your iTunes, or you should be able to just drag the PDF onto your iTunes. The PDF whould then appear in the Books section of your iTunes library (if Books isn't listed on the left hand side of your iTunes under the Library 'types' then you can add it by ticking it on the General tab in Edit > Preferences).

To get PDFs into my iBooks library on my iPad I just connect my iPad to my computer, and then I select and drag the PDFs from the Books section mentioned above, and drop it onto my iPad 'device' on the leftside of iTunes - it then gets added to my iBooks app on my iPad.

Apr 26, 2011 5:51 AM in response to Randall De Trinis1

Why don't you just email this link to yourself and open it on your Mac if you are more comfortable with the PDF. This is the 4.2 version - not the iPad2 version. You can also type this address into your web browser on your Mac and then save the PDF to your hard drive or wherever you save your documents.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPad_iOS4_User_Guide.pdf

Apr 26, 2011 6:00 AM in response to Randall De Trinis1

Ignore my post above. You do have the PDF on your Mac. Now I am getting confused. If you tap on that link I provided in my post above - on your iPad - it will open in Safari and then you can tap the icon in the upper right corner to - Open In - and select iBooks. You can keep this PDF version in iBooks. It is the 4.2 manual.

Like I said, I'm starting to get confused. I would think it might be a little easier for you to read the manual on your Mac and keep the iPad by your side to go through the learning process. But if you do as I suggest here, you can store this PDF in iBooks on the iPad and use it for easy reference.

Apr 27, 2011 4:29 AM in response to Randall De Trinis1

This is the correct sequence of events from the very begining and you can check to see if this is what you have done.

Tap the App Store icon

Search in the upper right corner for iBooks

Tap on the iBooks icon in the upper left corner under iPad Apps

Enter your password when prompted to begin the download

Exit the App Store and find the iBooks icon on your home page

Tap the iBooks icon to launch the app.

Enter the words iPad User Guide for iOS 4.3

Tap the iPad User Guide for iOS 4.3 icon in the upper left corner

Enter your password again is asked to do so

The book should begin to download. When it completes the download it will appear on the bookshelf in iBooks.

If you are not taken back to the bookshelf view after the book downloads, just tap library in the upper left corner and you should go back to the bookshelf view and see the book on the shelf.

(Your last post has me confused. The book should not be on the App Page - not sure what that is)

Tap on the book to open it and there should be a row of brown dots across the bottom of the opened book with a brown slider bar that you can slide back and forth to go directly to the page that you want to view. The page numbers and page content appear as you slide the bar. There is also a search area in the upper right corner that is very useful. The search area and the keyboard appear when you tap the magnifying glass in the upper right corner.

Type a keyword in the search field and a variety of choices may appear in a drop down list under the search field. Tap on one of those choices to be taken directly to that topic. The keyboard and the search field will now disappear. Repeat the process as needed.

I know you are using the iPad original - I am as well - but if you are running iOS 4.3.2 - which I am running - this book is more comprehensive for use than the 4.2 user manual pdf. You can always keep the 4.2 manual in iBooks anyway and you will have them both for reference.

Scrolling iPad User Guide

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.