Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I clean an iPad Smart Cover ?

My Smart Cover is dirty. What is the best way to clean it ?

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 7:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 5:03 PM

I clean the outside of my leather smart cover with a leather cleaner, wiped on/off gently with a soft cloth. Like many others, I found that the microfiber lining on the inside of the smart cover collects a substantial amount of oil from the iPad screen over time (yes, even clean fingers transfer some oil to the iPad screen, which culminates over time). I just found a product which does the job perfectly - a pre-packaged disposable degreaser kitchen wipe. Of course, be very gentle when rubbing. Grease gone.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2011 5:03 PM in response to Mobile Blues

I clean the outside of my leather smart cover with a leather cleaner, wiped on/off gently with a soft cloth. Like many others, I found that the microfiber lining on the inside of the smart cover collects a substantial amount of oil from the iPad screen over time (yes, even clean fingers transfer some oil to the iPad screen, which culminates over time). I just found a product which does the job perfectly - a pre-packaged disposable degreaser kitchen wipe. Of course, be very gentle when rubbing. Grease gone.

Jun 13, 2011 6:35 PM in response to Brigna

I'm admittedly conservative about cleaning and chemicals--

Biu/and I would NEVER spray or wipe a chemical coating onto a Smart Cover -- even if it's off the iPad. How do you know those chemicals won't get transferred by your hands or otherwise onto the screen and affect its oleophobic coating?

If you have a leather cover, why not consider just letting it develop a "patina"?

Mar 25, 2014 3:46 PM in response to Mobile Blues

Cleaning an Ipad smart case, cover or any case in general is fairly simple if you know what products to use. However if you get it wrong you could end up destroying your case or Ipad so be careful and always test on small conscipicous areas first.

PU leather and real leather require different techniques. PU leather is much easier to clean. A slightly damp micro fiber cloth should do the trick but never apply anything directly to the cover always lint free cloth first. The rubber is also a nice trick I have not heard of until now.

If using leather you will need to use special leather treatment otherwise the leather could dry out and crack. I recommend lexol but car cleaning leather wipes etc will also do the trick. If cleaning micro fiber on the inside always use a soft brush.

If there is tougher dirt on the case you will have to use more aggressive techniques found on my web page how to clean ipad smart case

How do I clean an iPad Smart Cover ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.