Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer from iPhone to iPhoto via Image Capture failed:

With 'delete after import' checked, I moved photo/video to iPhoto. The iPhone emptied itself of all images/video, iPhoto opened, began to import to the library, then stopped. A message came up saying something about library memory. My biggest problem now is the iPhones library has been deleted, and I have nothing to show for in iPhoto. Is there any way to recover what was being transferred? Is my iPhoto really maxed out with just over 2,000 items?

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 29, 2011 12:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2011 12:29 PM

No iPhoto is not maxed out at 2,000 images, it's maxed out at 250,000. So, what was the message?

Regards

TD

16 replies

Apr 30, 2011 8:54 AM in response to Michael Needs Help

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Rebuild iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one. .

Regards

TD

Oct 2, 2013 4:07 PM in response to Yer_Man

Hi,

I have a similar problem however I don't believe my issue relates to memory. When importing a selection of photos & videos from my iPhone via Image Viewer I'd selected 'delete after import' and selected iPhoto as the chosen destination to import to. The images slowly disappeared from the image viewer screen until all those I'd selected disappeared. There was some obvious processing time especially for the videos. Once all the images/ videos had been processed I was then presented with some kind of error message. I can't remember the exact wording of the message (is it possible to track this through my log files?? ) but the gist was that the import had failed.

Unfortunately the iPhones library has been deleted and I have no sign of my images in iPhoto. I have rebuilt the iPhoto library by first following the steps provided by Terence Devlin for Option 1, and then followed this up with Option 2. Neither have worked. Is there any way to recover/ locate the files I transferred?

Surely Image Viewer would not have deleted the images before they were imported?! That's a significant flaw if so. Also in the threads I am reading that image Viewer cannot be used to import into iPhoto - if this is the case why is it provided as an option??

I am really disappointed with myself for this as I am usually so cautious. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 3, 2013 10:41 AM in response to Peter_James_Cumming

Give this a go:

Starting over from scratch with new library

Start over with a new library and import the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from your original library as follows:

1. Open the library package like this.

User uploaded file

2. Launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and, when asked, select the option to create a new library.

3. Drag the subfolders of the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from the open iPhoto Library package into the open iPhoto window a few at a time.

User uploaded file

This will create a new library with the same Events (but not necessarily the same Event names) as the original library but will not keep the metadata, albums, books slideshows and other projects.

Note: your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.

OT

Transfer from iPhone to iPhoto via Image Capture failed:

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.