Previous 1 2 Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2013 12:01 PM by Peter_James_Cumming
Michael Needs Help Level 1 (0 points)

With 'delete after import' checked, I moved photo/video to iPhoto. The iPhone emptied itself of all images/video, iPhoto opened, began to import to the library, then stopped. A message came up saying something about library memory. My biggest problem now is the iPhones library has been deleted, and I have nothing to show for in iPhoto. Is there any way to recover what was being transferred? Is my iPhoto really maxed out with just over 2,000 items?

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.6.7)
  • Terence Devlin Level 10 (137,945 points)

No iPhoto is not maxed out at 2,000 images, it's maxed out at 250,000. So, what was the message?

Regards

TD

• Michael Needs Help Level 1 (0 points)

Let me see if I can recreate it...

I've taken a few 3-5 minute videos and 50 pictures to test the import process again. Using the same process as above, I was unable to replicate the problem.

On a side note, I installed the newest iPhoto update after the original issue. So, no. I cannot provide the exact message.

As a Test:

Hold down the option (or alt) key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Create Library'

Import a few pics into this new, blank library. Is the Problem repeated there?

I got the message!!!!!

Disk Space.png

This is the exact message that popped up mid import and caused the import process to end. Why would Image Capture clear my device prior to successfully importing the data via iPhoto? Is there a place I could find the lost files?

How big is your Hard Disk? How much free space on it?

Regards

TD

MacBook.png

How do I check the current space used and available?

Select the Disk on your Desktop and go File -> Get Info

Macintosh HD Info.jpg

102.15 GB available. This is more than enough, right?

Macintosh HD.png

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Rebuild iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one. .

Regards

TD

Thanks for your help. I appreciate you.

• Peter_James_Cumming Level 1 (0 points)

Hi,

I have a similar problem however I don't believe my issue relates to memory. When importing a selection of photos & videos from my iPhone via Image Viewer I'd selected 'delete after import' and selected iPhoto as the chosen destination to import to. The images slowly disappeared from the image viewer screen until all those I'd selected disappeared. There was some obvious processing time especially for the videos. Once all the images/ videos had been processed I was then presented with some kind of error message. I can't remember the exact wording of the message (is it possible to track this through my log files?? ) but the gist was that the import had failed.

Unfortunately the iPhones library has been deleted and I have no sign of my images in iPhoto. I have rebuilt the iPhoto library by first following the steps provided by Terence Devlin for Option 1, and then followed this up with Option 2. Neither have worked. Is there any way to recover/ locate the files I transferred?

Surely Image Viewer would not have deleted the images before they were imported?! That's a significant flaw if so. Also in the threads I am reading that image Viewer cannot be used to import into iPhoto - if this is the case why is it provided as an option??

I am really disappointed with myself for this as I am usually so cautious. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you mean Image Capture?

There are several 3rd party apps called Image Viewer.

What version of iPhoto?

• Peter_James_Cumming Level 1 (0 points)

Apologies I meat Image Capture. I have iPhoto '09   Version 8.1.2 (424). The screenshot below display how the import settings were set.

Screen shot 2013-10-03 at 08.14.21.png

Previous 1 2 Next