Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Proximity Sensor not working on White iPhone 4

I am now on my 3rd White Iphone 4. Every single one has had an issue with a proximity sensor, my screen does not turn off during calls. When at the genius bar, it works fine, I get home and all of a sudden it doesn't work. SUPER FRUSTRATED, I bought an iphone 4 (black) 2 weeks ago, and since changing it to the white one, i've had this constant issue. Anybody else having this? So tired of going b ack and forth to the apple store! I've tried restoring, resetting, everything. Nothing helps. Help!

Posted on May 1, 2011 9:00 AM

31 replies

May 1, 2011 9:23 AM in response to Momar

Apparently this isn't a constant issue - it works fine when at the genius bar only according to what you've provided, which is odd and hard to believe. It works nowhere else except while at the genius bar and yet they have exchanged your iPhone twice.

You have done everything you can do except keep exchanging the iPhone until the proximity sensor works fine everywhere - not just when at the genius bar, or return it for payment credit and go back with a black iPhone.

May 1, 2011 9:46 AM in response to Momar

First thing you did not mention if you are using any type of protective film in the iPhone screen or what type of case are you using.

If you are using a case, try to test the sensor without the case, some cases affects the way the sensor works.

also mate protective screen films would do the same.

In the white iPhone it is easier to see where the sensor is located, right above the speaker and camera.

I had the same problem with mine, it works perfectly now, a just had to cut the top part of my leather case that was partly covering the sensor.

User uploaded file

May 7, 2011 7:44 AM in response to Momar

I have same problem, I have a power support crystal screen shield and when it was on proximity sensor wasn't working. Took it off and phone was fine... Something with the white iPhone that's just sensitive with proximity sensor. Cut a hole out for sensor and put my shield back on and it works flawlessly. Funny thing is the power support HD anti glare shield caused no problems when I had that on there. Also, apple doesn't sell the power support crystal shields anymore I had to get it through power support's website. Wonder if apple knows this is going on and that's why they stopped carrying the crystal version of power supports screen shield??? Still for the money they are the best shields by far, just gotta make a little adjustment. All of the shield manufacturers should be notified of this problem and they should start manufacturing different products for the white iPhone specifically... Then we have no issues.

Specifically for your problem though, if the iPhone works at the genius bar and not when u take it home, then their has to be something PHYSICALLY you are doing to interfere with that sensor. Hope you get it figured out!!

May 9, 2011 10:32 PM in response to pjbigshow

I'm having this issue on my iPhone 4 (white) too.

It's flawless after I made a cut out on the proximity sensor area. So currently, with the default clear film (that comes with the phone) and iSkin on, it's working fine.

I'm wondering if it'll be a problem again when I apply the Power Support HD Anti-Glare.

Apparently, I have the other iPhone 4 (white) without problems at all (be it on the default clear film or the Power Support HD Anti-Glare).

May 14, 2011 12:00 AM in response to Momar

Same issue. First I had the Otter Box case, and the screen would not turn off during the call. I called Otter Box and they said "oh yeah, the Otter case does not work with the white iphone 4", I said did you tell the AT&T stores cause they are selling them like they do...she said "were working on a new case" ...doesn't help me.

So back to the AT & T store and I got a new case. BUT my white iphone 4 screen still does not always turn off during calls, about thirty seconds in or so it will, but not at first.

my protective film did cover over my proximity sensor, but per this post I cut a hole in the protector to see if that fix them problem, IT DID NOT!!

I say a recall is in order!!

May 14, 2011 10:13 AM in response to Momar

Hi friends, just to inform you that I had the same issue. Taking extreme care of my iPhone 4 White, so screen protection before start using it... after 1 day I noticed the screen did not switch off during phone calls and I was getting annoyed quite a lot. I had the idea of taking out the protection and the sensor worked normally. So just had to cut it in the sensor zone and everything is fine. Probably it is more sensitive than the iPhone 4 Black.

Cheers, L

May 17, 2011 8:13 AM in response to Momar

I was having this problem and came here and saw the suggestions about the screen protector blocking the sensor... i took it off and made a call and Ta-Da! it worked. So i have cut my screen protector so that that sensor isn't covered and i am all set. Thanks! And i hope everyone tries this to save themselves the trouble of going back and forth (i have a feeling that it works at the Genius Bar because you are getting a new phone WITHOUT a protector on it, then you get home and put the protector on and it doesn't work.) i think i might stop by my verizon guy and let him know about this 🙂

May 17, 2011 7:00 PM in response to Momar

I JUST bought a white Iphone 4 from Verizon about 3 days ago, and discovered the proximity sensor issue. Well needless to say I spent the day googling this issue, and even downloaded an app called Call Guard for .99 Which, btw works perfectly, but you have to tap it each time you make or receive a call unless you jailbreak your phone...but that is another can of worms all together. Anyways, I took the phone OUT of the protective case (it is an Otter Box), and now NO issue whatsoever. I am relieved it is not the phone, but instead the Otter Box is the issue. Hope this helps! Oh, and sorry Apple team for the scathing email I sent earlier today...

May 18, 2011 6:09 AM in response to Momar

Best Buy made good

On May 4, my wife and I bought iPhone 4s at Apple Store – mine black, hers white. Then had Best Buy install Zagg Invisible Shields on front of both phones. My wife later noticed her phone screen didn’t turn off during calls (mine worked fine). Found four discussions of the issue (listed below), with Zagg covering the white proximity sensor evidently being the problem.

Went to an iPhone class at the Apple Store, and they confirmed that the problem was the shield blocking the proximity sensor. (BTW, also found out that none of the Apple Store employees used a screen cover because the quality of the iPhone 4 glass is so high.)

Then returned to Best Buy. Employee removed Zagg and proximity sensor began working. No problem in returning the Zagg Invisible Shield, and getting our money back for both the product and Best Buy’s installation. (Interestingly, the employee also had a white iPhone without a screen cover.)

IMPORTANT:Best Buy employee said cutting a hole for the proximity sensor would void the Zagg warranty.

Here are the discussion sites:

Apple Support Discussions – “Proximity Sensor not working on White iPhone 4”

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3031122?answerId=15224209022#15224209022

MacRumors Forums (1) – “White iPhone 4 w/ Zagg - Proximity not working”

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1146387

MacRumors Forums (2) – “iPhone 4 Proximity sensor, Black vs. White”

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1146402

The iPhoneAddict – “Proximity sensor issues with white iPhone 4”

http://www.theiphoneaddict.com/problems-2/proximity-sensor-issues-with-white-iph one-4/#comment-206072330

Proximity Sensor not working on White iPhone 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.