Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 64 Bit Boot Camp install on iMac 27" (2010) without int. DVD drive

I have a current 27" iMac (bought last year) and the internal DVD drive doesn't work. It's new, has NEVER been used. I guess it's dust inside, but cleaning CDs didn't help. I don't want to bring or send my iMac to the Apple repair service because normally I don't need this internal DVD drive.

Hence I'm looking for alternative ways to install Windows 7/64 via Boot Camp. I have rEFIt-0.14 installed, an Original Windows 7 Retail-DVD (and a ISO image of it), an external USB DVD drive (Samsung), an external USB hard drive 160GB (LaCie), some USB flash drives (Kingston, 4GB) and a Windows PC.

I've read many threads about this problem, for example this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3000794 resp.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3000794?answerId=15016734022#15016734022 (saying it SHOULD work!)

Hmmm... Some people succeeded in installling - other didn't. I've also read about that "Parallels way" - but I would prefer not to use Parallels.

Is any information missing...? What would you recommend? Thanks a lot!

iMac 27, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Kensington Expert Trackball

Posted on May 1, 2011 4:40 PM

7 replies

May 4, 2011 1:18 AM in response to coxorange

It doesn't work! But others reported that it should!

I've tried it using the Original Windows 7 DVD and also

a bootable 4GB Kingston USB flash drive made

under Windows 7 as follows:

User uploaded file

The rEFIt-0.14 boot menu lists the following options...

* Boot Mac OS from Macintosh HD

* Boot EFI\BOOTX64.EFI from EFISECTOR

* Boot Windows from CD

* Boot Legacy OS from EFISECTOR

... but nothing helps - I always get the message

"No bootable device -- insert boot disc and press any key"

and can only switch off my Mac.

What am I doing wrong?

Or will only that Parallels option work? (Last year when

I tried Parallels for the first time, the uninstall function

didn't work comprehensively and I had trouble removing

the Parallels installation completely from my system.)

Thanks for any help!!

May 6, 2011 5:12 PM in response to coxorange

Interesting: On my 2009 21.5" iMac I can boot the Windows 7 DVD from an external DVD drive (Samsung), but on my 2010 27" iMac, using the same drive, I can't! -- Why? USB via rEFIt doesn't work on both.

On http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/9136/macbook-air-install-windows-7-with-boot-camp -without-an-external-dvd-drive/ I found a comment:

"Okay. I think I got it working for the 'no bootable disk' error. Funny enough, before you select the windows partition on the rEFIT, just press shell and load it till the countdown. press ESC and type 'exit'. Once out to the main screen, select Windows. Should run now smoothly. It did for me."

I tried this, but without success. Can someone explain? Thanks.

Windows 7 64 Bit Boot Camp install on iMac 27" (2010) without int. DVD drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.