Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are the trailers?

On http://trailers.apple.com/

Running 10.6.7 using Safari and Firefox

It's more of a curiosity thing, why did Apple remove the trailers for the new movies coming out?

Why is Apple referring everyone to the movie's website to watch the trailer? (I liked being able to browse and watch from one place)

Does anyone else have this problem?

Posted on May 6, 2011 12:42 PM

29 replies

May 7, 2011 1:12 PM in response to chattphotos

Having the same problem the past couple of days on my 27-inch iMac. Not sure when it started since I haven't checked Apple's movie page in a while. It's the same problem in Safari, Firefox and Camino. No problem on my four-year-old MBP or iPad. (All available updates applied to all machines.) I've repaired permissions, reset Safari, even rebooted, all to no avail.

Both Safari and Firefox report lots of CSS errors, and some Javascrpt errors:

Error: Builder is not defined

Source File: http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/global/scripts/lib/overlay_panel.js

Line: 66

Error: illegal character

Source File: http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/global/scripts/lib/scriptaculous.js

Line: 1

Source Code: �

In Firefox 4.x on my MBP, the trailers load fine. The CSS errors appear the same, but there's just one Javascript error, and it's a different one:

AC.Detector.svgAsBackground is not a function

Beats me. ;-)

May 10, 2011 9:32 PM in response to chattphotos

Having the same problem. Using an IBM Lenovo X61 Thinkpad running Windows XP. It behaves the same in IE8, Firefox, Safari, and Google Chrome. Firebug (Firefox plugin) shows the first part of the "scriptaculous.js" javascript file as unreadable characters:

User uploaded file

In my case, this is the root cause of the missing drop-down.

"scriptaculous.js" doesn't appear this way on my MacBook Pro, Vista pcs, or Win7 pcs....the code reads normal. It must be something to do with the OS & its ability to interpret whatever character set the first portion (894 lines) of "scriptaculous.js" has been saved in.

May 11, 2011 8:57 AM in response to kodaboy

I don't think it's the file on Apple's end. I think it's something to do with the "state of the OS" (in this case, his 27-in. IMac running [whatever], and my Lenovo running WinXP). I have several XP machines here at work, all running IE7, and they can see the trailer drop-down just fine....it has to be something that I installed/changed on my Lenovo that is causing the corruption.

Scriptaculous is a web 2.0 Javascript library. It comes pre-packaged in many web development frameworks (Ruby on Rails, Seaside, etc), but is also available for general download & use:

http://script.aculo.us/

Apple is using it, or maybe even a modified version of it, in trailers.com.

But, like I mentioned before...I don't think it's the file itself...if it was, the problem would be much more wide-spread. Rather, I think it's my computer's mode & method of interpreting said file that's causing the issue. It HAS to be something I installed or changed....the questions is, what.

May 11, 2011 10:35 AM in response to robertfromsherwood

robertfromsherwood wrote:

But, like I mentioned before...I don't think it's the file itself...if it was, the problem would be much more wide-spread. Rather, I think it's my computer's mode & method of interpreting said file that's causing the issue. It HAS to be something I installed or changed....the questions is, what.

Agreed, it's specific to our systems, and not the browsers, since the problem persists through three browsers on my iMac. Yet it's apparently easily enough to trigger, either through installation, update or some other method; while's it's not common, it's also not an isolated incident.

Thankfully, it's not a huge problem, but one of those nagging technical faults I'd love to solve.

Where are the trailers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.