Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sustain pedal works in Logic but not Mainstage

I've just hooked up an ancient Roland RD 1000 and it plays MIDI really nicely into Logic. It has a nice weighted feel and I'd like to use it on stage at church now and then. Snag is, the sustain pedal isn't working in Mainstage 2. I see the midi cc going on and off just like in Logic's midi monitor and the sustain pedal in the mainstage controls lights up when I press the pedal. MS just chops the note off when "note off" is sent on lifting a finger off a key.

Any ideas anyone?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 8GB i7 2.2Ghz

Posted on May 7, 2011 3:28 PM

21 replies

May 9, 2011 11:45 AM in response to dhjdhj

dhjdhj, thanks for the interest - it was already mapped in the Apple template - that is, it moves up and down on screen when I operate the physical sustain pedal. I haven't changed anything - is that what you mean? I did try hooking up another Roland RD700 as midi controller and the sus pedal works ok there. Strange.

May 9, 2011 12:02 PM in response to randallp

You have associated the pedal with a device in the layout but that doesn't mean the MIDI events are being sent to the right place --- you may have to map the screen pedal to the actual desired target....select the patch of interest, then click on that screen pedal icon and then at the bottom of MainStage in the inspector you can define how the pedal should behave

May 9, 2011 1:27 PM in response to dhjdhj

dhjdhj - sorry I'm fumbling a bit here - there wasn't a mapping set up for the learnt pedal (it was working ok on the RD700 however - could there be a default or something that works without a mapping I wonder?) so now I've (I think) specifically mapped it to 64 sustain. It still operates ok at home with the RD700 - I'll go down the church and try the RD1000 tomorrow.

Thanks for your help

May 14, 2011 5:11 AM in response to randallp

I've used the MIDI learn feature too now. No change - (out of the box, MS sees the pedal operate (that is, the little picture of a pedal moves up and down) it just doesn't sustain an EXS24 instance in a MS channel strip). But an

EXS24 in a Logic channel strip works flawlessly!

MS is obviously seeing the cc 64 as an EVB3 instance detects it and switches the Leslie on and off, for example.

May 14, 2011 5:37 AM in response to randallp

First of all, when you first define the pedal in screen layout, change the mode from automatic to "no thru". (nb I don't have MainStage in front of me, I don't remember the actual name of that option but it's the one that blocks it from passing on a ythi g by default)

Now, when you're in a patch, pressing the pedal should by default have no affect on anything (e.g it should not switch the Leslie)

For some devices, if you go to the concert level and select them, you can define the default mapping to be Always Block

Then, when you are in edit mode with a particular patch selected, you can ADD a new mapping for that pedal that will route it to the desired parameter of your soft synth. if you have defined the device to always block, then you will have to click the "override parent" to allow a mapping to be changed

I've found that this is a useful approach to prevent some bugs (apparently considered to be design features!) from sending unexpected values out from time to time

May 15, 2011 11:06 AM in response to dhjdhj

Hi

Assuming that you are using exactly the same EXS preset in both Logic and MainStage (and that sustain does work in Logic and not in MS with this patch), and that you are seeing MIDI activity in MS when you work the sustain pedal:

Have you by any chance enabled the MIDI Input Filter in the Channel Strip Inspector in MS?

User uploaded file

HTH

CCT

Jun 4, 2011 5:09 AM in response to CCTM

CCTM, your post got me thinking some more. I'd assumed that the EXS preset in MS would be the same as in Logic but when I looked closer, there were minor differences (I don't know much about the detail settings for EXS24 II but I noted a couple). Briefly fiddling with it yesterday I got sustain to (sort of) work on the RD1000. But then I lost it again! So I think we are getting close.

Is there a way of copying an EXS24 II preset exactly from Logic to MS? I tried (on the advice of Doug Z on another forum) to "save channel strip as" and reload in MS but that had differences. I guess I could go through a preset parameter by parameter but I'd like to do this again for some other instruments when/if it works.

(I hadn't enabled the MIDI input filter btw)

Jun 4, 2011 4:13 PM in response to Blueberry

OK I'll do that - there were minor differences in the EXS24 II filter setings and another (detune or something as I recall) one too.

One thing I'm also noticing is that EXS24 II piano notes from the RD1000 are fine in Logic but (just on their own without any sustain pedal issues) there's a sort of click generated by the MS EXS24 II at note off - not really a click, more a sudden truncation of the note's decay I guess - difficult to describe.

Tomorrow I plan to try the EVP instrument and the Garageband piano to see if they sustain ok - if they do, that'll isolate it to the EXS24 II in MS.

Sustain pedal works in Logic but not Mainstage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.