You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need a screen protector really?

I've read through discussions and looked a various products online. Now I'd like to ask experienced iPad users their opinions. Should I buy one? (I sent back my Smart Cover and bought a Marware cover. I like it much better.)

Posted on May 8, 2011 12:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 8, 2011 12:22 PM

I have always bought screen protectors for iPod Touches and before that, the Palm devices. However, with the iPad, I didn't want to have to fight a larger sized cover, getting air bubbles out, aligning it correctly, etc. So I decided to go with no protector and bought a number of 3M microfiber cloths, as some have suggested. With a protector, I've read that some decrease the screens sharpness/brightness, others make the surface less sensitive to pressure, etc.

Going without a protector has worked out very well. Unlike a Palm with its non-hard, and somewhat delicate surface, the IPad has a glass surface, so I don't believe the odds of scratching it are as likely. What sold me on this was the fact that several reports indicated that Apple removed all iPad protectors from their stores, saying they weren't needed. I suspect there was another reason for this, but that was the deciding factor for me.

21 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 8, 2011 12:22 PM in response to Sheryl Smith-Rodgers

I have always bought screen protectors for iPod Touches and before that, the Palm devices. However, with the iPad, I didn't want to have to fight a larger sized cover, getting air bubbles out, aligning it correctly, etc. So I decided to go with no protector and bought a number of 3M microfiber cloths, as some have suggested. With a protector, I've read that some decrease the screens sharpness/brightness, others make the surface less sensitive to pressure, etc.

Going without a protector has worked out very well. Unlike a Palm with its non-hard, and somewhat delicate surface, the IPad has a glass surface, so I don't believe the odds of scratching it are as likely. What sold me on this was the fact that several reports indicated that Apple removed all iPad protectors from their stores, saying they weren't needed. I suspect there was another reason for this, but that was the deciding factor for me.

May 8, 2011 12:24 PM in response to Sheryl Smith-Rodgers

I've never used one. I believe a screen protector will protect the glass from something harder than glass (diamonds, sand, grit) being dragged across it and scratching it. I do not believe that a screen protector will stop the screen shattering when dropped and landing at just the wrong angle, or hitting an uneven surface.

So I avoid scratchy stuff, and I avoid dropping it. 😎

May 8, 2011 12:32 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Philly_Phan wrote:

I don't have one and have not missed it. Had my iPad for a year.

I thought you were a ZAGG proponent. I could swear that I read in a post some months ago that said you loved it.

I guess I have the wrong person but whoever did write the post convinced me to try it. Once I figured out how to put it on properly, I fell in love with the ZAGG Invisible Shield. Put one on my iPod Touch as well.

May 8, 2011 12:32 PM in response to Sheryl Smith-Rodgers

I bought a screen protector for my iphone 4, and It's just doesn't do it for me. I hate the time it takes to put it on and I can never get it right. After a week of use, it looks very messy, that's why I would not consider for the iPad 2.

I have been looking at the malware case and indeed looks a good one giving full protection and good cut outs. But I still love my red leather smart-cover from apple.

May 8, 2011 12:58 PM in response to Anthony J Howe

I used to feel the same way as you do. This ZAGG Invisible Shield is a little different. It DOES take a little getting used to the way the screen looks. The protector gives the screen sort of a "rippled" look to it. But when you follow the directions (which I did NOT do with the first one that I bought) it goes on very easily and I have NO bubbles on the screen area at all. There are two tiny bubbles on opposite sides of the bezel, but that to me is a small price to pay for the protection. If I had to put another one on my iPad, I think I could make it totally bubble free.

These really are slick screen protectors and I highly recommend them. I eat ice cream every night (I'm a bit of a slob with my ice cream I know) and have a tendency to drip on my iPad screen. No worries with this protector. I can clean it without worrying about scratching anything.

May 8, 2011 1:19 PM in response to tonefox

tonefox wrote:

Good grief. I refuse to let my phone or iPad sit on the same surface as ANY container of any liquid, never mind dribbling my food over them! 😁

Under any other circumstances I am OCD about my iPad. No one else uses it or touches it and I keep it safe from all harm, including and especially liquids. I keep it in a Targus case and I use a microfiber cloth as a buffer when I close the iPad in the case even though the case has a soft surface.

But I am addicted to my dish of ice cream every night and to my iPad as well .. the ZAGG was the perfect solution for me. Besides, I don't drip gallons or anything, just the occasional drop or two!

😉

May 8, 2011 1:49 PM in response to Sheryl Smith-Rodgers

If you have children who love using the iPad, I would strongly recommend a screen protector. Our iPad 2 had a crystal clear one fitted on day one and ,as it turned out, it did it's job within a month taking the hit from a scratch caused by a friend's ring dragging across thesreen. Don't have to worry about junior playing Angry Birds either! Lol

Replaced with a PowerSupport crystal clear protector, we cannot see any loss of clarity and touchscreen effectiveness is undiminished. Best of all,no bubbles!

Do I need a screen protector really?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.