Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard Language Indicator Popup

When switching keyboard input source the onscreen display showing input source no longer pops up on screen. Is there a way of getting this back?

Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on May 8, 2011 1:18 PM

19 replies

Sep 20, 2017 5:39 PM in response to athirdfoot

OK to keep a long story short, the correct one in

System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Input Sources

is

Select the previous input source

(YES, the name of this feature is definitely misleading. It might select the previous input source on a short tap, but what it mostly does is show this useful popup - I definitely change it back to Cmd-space like it was in previous MacOS versions before Sierra.)

May 8, 2011 11:07 PM in response to eww

Thanks for your extremely quick reply. The keyboard viewer is not really what I meant. There used to be a pop up box that appeared in the middle of my screen saying the language selected when switching between keyboard input sources. For example I would use a keyboard shortcut to switch input source and in the center of my screen would appear "British" or "Swedish" etc. Similar to how the indicators appear when chaning screen brightness or system volume.

May 9, 2011 6:06 AM in response to athirdfoot

athirdfoot wrote:

There used to be a pop up box that appeared in the middle of my screen saying the language selected when switching between keyboard input sources.

Does it really not show if you first hold down the Command/Apple key and then hold down the space key for a while? If not, try creating a new user account and see if it works again when logged into that.

Feb 6, 2013 12:11 AM in response to athirdfoot

What he's talking about, is this:

User uploaded file

It's a transparent pop-up window that appears ONLY when Cmd + Space is hit. It took a couple clicks to turn it back on in Mountain Lion (10.8.2)--but it still exists.

What you have to make sure of, is that Spotlight is not currently using the shortcut, which it takes by default. When you enable more than one Input Source (in Language & Text), the shortcuts, seen here, become active:

User uploaded file

However, you will ONLY, and I mean only, see the pop-up when you use the first shortcut--and Spotlight positively cannot be using the shortcut, or else it will show up as greyed out, like I said, by default.

TOODLES!!!!

Keyboard Language Indicator Popup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.