Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airport extreme 2.4ghz only

Hello,

I have recently posted this question in the iPad forum:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3064790

Basically I'm saying my iPad wifi doesn't seem to have the range/performance of my iPhone. It was suggested to me that I might try running in 2.4ghz mode since I should be able to get better range. Currently the iPad connects to the 5ghz band. As a note...I have very little issue with neighboring networks and other interference, however I have many cement walls and I know the AE will only stretch so far. But I would like to get the max out of it. So my question is should I give this a try and actually how would I do it because it's my understanding I can't just run 2.4ghz only? Thanks,

rc

Posted on May 18, 2011 4:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2011 6:04 AM

It is correct that you cannot run the dual band AirPort Extreme in 2.4 GHz mode only. Right now, both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands are using the same wireless network name.

If you assign a different name to the 5 GHz band on the AirPort Extreme, then you can manually "point" your iPad at either the 2.4 GHz band or the 5 GHz band. As it stands now, the iPad is connecting to the 5 GHz band because it has looked at both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands and decided that the 5 GHz band offers the better quality connection.

So, it's fine if you want to experiment with connecting to 2.4 GHz with the iPad, but there's no assurance that 2.4 GHz willl produce a better connection. One of the reasons for this is that there is a much greater chance of picking up interference on the 2.4 GHz band.

To assign a separate name to the 5 GHz network on your AirPort Extreme:

Open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click Manual Setup

Click on Wireless located just below the row of icons

Click Wireless Network Options

Enter a check mark next to 5 GHz name

This will automatically add "5 GHz" to the wireless network name that you are using now

Click Done

Click Update and the AirPort Extreme will restart in 25-30 seconds

To connect to the 2.4 GHz band, you really should have to do nothing on the iPad because it will "see" the same wireless network name as before...which is now the 2.4 GHz band. If you want to it to connect to the 5 GHz band, you will need to look for the name of your network with the "(5 GHz)" added to the wireless network name.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2011 6:04 AM in response to rick722

It is correct that you cannot run the dual band AirPort Extreme in 2.4 GHz mode only. Right now, both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands are using the same wireless network name.

If you assign a different name to the 5 GHz band on the AirPort Extreme, then you can manually "point" your iPad at either the 2.4 GHz band or the 5 GHz band. As it stands now, the iPad is connecting to the 5 GHz band because it has looked at both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands and decided that the 5 GHz band offers the better quality connection.

So, it's fine if you want to experiment with connecting to 2.4 GHz with the iPad, but there's no assurance that 2.4 GHz willl produce a better connection. One of the reasons for this is that there is a much greater chance of picking up interference on the 2.4 GHz band.

To assign a separate name to the 5 GHz network on your AirPort Extreme:

Open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click Manual Setup

Click on Wireless located just below the row of icons

Click Wireless Network Options

Enter a check mark next to 5 GHz name

This will automatically add "5 GHz" to the wireless network name that you are using now

Click Done

Click Update and the AirPort Extreme will restart in 25-30 seconds

To connect to the 2.4 GHz band, you really should have to do nothing on the iPad because it will "see" the same wireless network name as before...which is now the 2.4 GHz band. If you want to it to connect to the 5 GHz band, you will need to look for the name of your network with the "(5 GHz)" added to the wireless network name.

May 18, 2011 7:28 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob. Yes I forgot I can actually do it this way and for testing it's actually quite helpful since I can compare both networks. Since I just did this some quick feedback...in my usual laptop position (now with my macbook) in the house I see that the 2.4ghz network has one bar more than the 5ghz network. With my iPad I actually noticed the opposite (an extra bar on the 5ghz network) but since I move around a bit more with the iPad I will have to make some more tests.

One other question for now...I noticed the rate in wireless clients on my macbook is now about 145 and normally it was around 230 when connecting to the 5ghz band. Is this something that will make a difference when let's say doing wireless backups? I guess this is because my 2.4ghz band is b/g/n that the rate drops correct? I don't think this would be much of an issue with my iPad but maybe I can put keep my laptop on the 5ghz band if it makes a difference. Thanks again!

rc

May 18, 2011 7:56 AM in response to rick722

There's always a trade off in performance when you gain one thing....you have to give up another.

5 GHz is "faster", but the higher frequencies of the 5 GHz band are not as strong as 2.4 GHz signals, so they are absorbed more quickly by any obstructions in the signal path, so in return for speed on 5 GHz, you must give up penetration power and distance capability.

The "bars" really don't tell you much at all about the actual signal quality that is being received. For example, they indicate relative strength, but tell you nothing about noise on the network. So, it's possible to have a high signal with high noise levels....which would not be as good of a connection as a bit lower signal strength with low noise.

Your iPad is comparing a number of connection factors when you have the AirPort Exteme set to broadcast both bands using the same wireless network name. It picks the best connection quality....not necessarily signal strength...when it connects. For that reason, leaving the AirPort Extreme in the default mode of having both bands use the same network name is the best choice for most users.

After all, you do want the device to connect to the best quality connection....correct?

I noticed the rate in wireless clients on my macbook is now about 145 and normally it was around 230 when connecting to the 5ghz band. Is this something that will make a difference when let's say doing wireless backups?

Yes, the 5 Ghz connection will backup almost twice as quickly as the 2.4 Ghz connection in your example above.

But....connecting at 5 Ghz does not guarantee a faster connection if there are a number of obstructions in the signal path. In that case, the 5 GHz signal might well be slower than the 2.4 GHz signal.

Again...another reason to setup the AirPort Exteme using default settings and let the iPad or computer choose the best connection automatically.

May 18, 2011 8:35 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Ok so in default mode the iPad or laptop might actually switch between 2.4 and 5 without me knowing it correct? Yeah based on how you explained it the best way seems to be the default. If I wasn't having problems with the iPad then I wouldn't change it. But I often move to a location in my house where I show 2 bars on my iPad and I lose connection for maybe a minute before it comes back. I don't experience this with my iPhone. So I'll just test it for a few days and see if theirs any difference. And I suppose if I enter the password for my newly created 5ghz ssid it will still select between the best one? Thanks Bob I really appreciate the input!

Rc

May 18, 2011 10:15 AM in response to rick722

Ok so in default mode the iPad or laptop might actually switch between 2.4 and 5 without me knowing it correct?

Yes, depeding on the location of the device, obstructions, other wireless networks, noise, etc....all the factors that the Apple engineers have programmed in to determine a "best" connection.

And I suppose if I enter the password for my newly created 5ghz ssid it will still select between the best one?

Not sure what you mean here. The password is the same for both the 2.4 GHz band and 5 GHz band, no matter whether you have setup the Extreme to use a separate wireless network name for the 5 GHz band or not.

My recommendation is to "uncheck" the box next to "5 GHz name" in Wireless Network Options for almost all users.

It's possible that you may need to look at an AirPort Express to "extend" the wireless signal for better coverage in your home. Once you are a few rooms away from the wireless router, you really need another "extending" device to maintain the signal quality over a greater area.

May 18, 2011 6:25 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi again Bob,

Thanks for the time I actually understand this all a bit better now. And yes I now understand about the password. I guess what I was trying to say is that it seems after creating the 2 separate network names the very first time I connect to the network I have to input the password since the laptop/iPad considers it a new network. But that password is actually the same for both networks. And I did find out just now that on my laptop I did have to manually switch to the 2.4ghz network in certain areas of my house since the 5ghz network was out of range. So it was happening automatically before I just didn't realize it. I will have to make sure and switch back to 5ghz before doing backups when I'm back closer to my router...

I can definitely see why you recommend to leave the box for separate networks unchecked as switching back and forth manually is not ideal. But I will probably leave it like this for a few days to see if forcing the iPad to use the 2.4ghz network makes a difference. At the moment my best "guess" is that it seems when the iPad reaches a point where the 5ghz network is getting weak it takes time for it to switch to 2.4ghz and the connection drops while waiting. I lose my connection on my iPad sometimes when the iPad is showing 2 bars. I can post back if I learn anything interesting from this exercise, but in the meantime I'll mark this as solved. Thanks Bob!

rc

Oct 18, 2011 12:18 PM in response to rick722

Remember, the more you extend the network (with additional Airports or Express) the more you suck off the Main Gateway Router...... sometimes up to 1/3. The best solution is to hard wire a home with several direct access points to the Internet and strategically place the additional Airport routers around the home. Sattelite Routers will assures a consistant signal throughout. I've done this with many clients who own enormous homes, to establish a full coverage broadcasting network.

airport extreme 2.4ghz only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.