Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Smokers Void Apple Warranties

I went into apple today and they told me that even though i haven't had the lastest imac that long all my warranties are void even though its a known problem cause i have smoked near my imac they said this was also the case for any apple products. This should have been made clearer when i brought the imac or iphone or ipad or ipod but at no point as they sold them to me did they mention this. It is not in the terms and conditions. This does not happen with PC's or with Apple products brought through PC World and similar stores it just seems to effect those brought from apple.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on May 21, 2011 8:29 AM

36 replies

May 21, 2011 9:52 AM in response to ellentcole

Take a look at this excerpt of the warranty:

User uploaded file

Note the "other external causes". It appears that the damage is not covered if it is determined to have been caused by smoke (which would be an external cause). It probably wouldn't matter if it was cigarette or BBQ grill smoke... Personally, I would not subject any electronic equipment to smoke.

Resellers have their own policies which may be different from the manufacturer's.

May 21, 2011 10:14 AM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

Take a look at this excerpt of the warranty:

User uploaded file

Note the "other external causes". It appears that the damage is not covered if it is determined to have been caused by smoke (which would be an external cause). It probably wouldn't matter if it was cigarette or BBQ grill smoke... Personally, I would not subject any electronic equipment to smoke.

Resellers have their own policies which may be different from the manufacturer's.

It's amazing how our attitudes have changed. I worked on the Lunar Modules that were used to take the American astronauts to the moon and it was normal practice to smoke in and around the gear.

May 21, 2011 10:22 AM in response to Philly_Phan

It's amazing how our attitudes have changed. I worked on the Lunar Modules that were used to take the American astronauts to the moon and it was normal practice to smoke in and around the gear.

You can call it more "enlightened"??? Or simply better informed? It makes sense to me that smoke could damage sensitive electronic equipment (I'm not a chemist or an engineer, but oxidation comes to mind?)

As for the Apple warranty - I am guessing that is what Apple might say as long as they determine that the damage was caused by smoke.

May 21, 2011 6:26 PM in response to ellentcole

The same situation you mention was posted some time ago where Apple refused to work on a repair due to residue from cigarette smoke. The reason being the residue is toxic and would jeopardize the health of the technician working on the repair and Apple would not allow any employee to be exposed to such a danger. To me, that would mean a lot of smoking.

May 21, 2011 7:17 PM in response to Edward Boghosian

Edward Boghosian wrote:

To me, that is crazy. Did you work on the one that exploded?

LOL...as Philly_Phan says no Lunar Module every exploded. These were made in the 1960s & 70s, perhaps you are thinking of Apollo 1 that burned on the launch pad during a test killing three astronauts in 1967 or the Challenger Space Shuttle Explosion that occurred in 1986 or possibly the Columbia Space Shuttle the burned up on re-entry in 2003.

May 21, 2011 7:34 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I wasn't suggesting that you had made that statement. I was merely adding information for the benefit of the younger members of the forum.

Shortly before the Apollo-11 mission, some thirty or forty of us signed a placard. It was photographed and two 35mm negatives were taken to the moon. One negative was left there and the other was brought back and souvenir wall hangings were printed for us. The inscription includes the words "Reproduced from a negative carried by LM5 to the lunar surface on July 20, 1969."

May 21, 2011 7:41 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Shortly before the Apollo-11 mission, some thirty or forty of us signed a placard. It was photographed and two 35mm negatives were taken to the moon. One negative was left there and the other was brought back and souvenir wall hangings were printed for us. The inscription includes the words "Reproduced from a negative carried by LM5 to the lunar surface on July 20, 1969."

Ah....thanks for the clarification.

As for the placard....wow, very cool piece of space history!

Smokers Void Apple Warranties

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.