Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion family pack with multiple Apple IDs?

My wife and I each have a Mac, and we each have our own Apple ID. In the past for OS upgrades I could pay one price for a family pack and upgrade both. How do I upgrade both of us to Lion without having to buy the upgrade twice, once from each Apple ID?

MacBook Pro 17" i7 8GB, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Time Capsule; Airport Express; 3gen iPod Nano; 32GB iPhone 3GS;

Posted on Jun 6, 2011 5:32 PM

59 replies

Jun 7, 2011 3:46 AM in response to tcgoetz

It's my understanding that once you pay for a single copy of Lion, every computer you have that's authorized under your Apple ID can download it, no limit on number. My concern was getting my wife's computer authorized under my Apple ID since we have different ones. I don't know why I didn't think of the multiple user account idea sooner.

If you have an account on each of your machines you should be good to go with the single purchase.

Jun 11, 2011 4:45 PM in response to Spinland

I think that you guys are misunderstanding and mixing two different requirements regarding the MAS and the iTunes Store.

Regarding the iTunes Store, you can authorize a total of five Macs or PCs at the same time to use your purchased iTunes media; music, videos and audiobooks.

The software from the MAS can be installed on every Mac that you own or have in your control, which may include Macs issued to you and immediate family members by their place of employment or an educational institution. You do not need an account on every one of the Macs to install the software that you purchase. You only need to sign into your MAS account at the moment of installation of the software on that Mac. You will also need to sign into your account to execute a software update for the software that you installed on that Mac.

Jun 11, 2011 6:23 PM in response to Spinland

And, further...even if I could somehow install Lion from her account
using my Apple ID, that means she can't get automatic updates to the OS
from then on? I'd have to log into her machine every time?

I have explained to you that you could install Lion that you have purchased on her Mac. I explained that to do so you only needed to sign into your MAS account in the MAS app on her Mac. I also explained that to update Lion on her Mac would require that you sign into your account in the MAS app on her Mac again.

You write "every time" like it would almost be a weekly event. Mac OS X Snow Leopard has had 7 updates so far, and there will likely be one more. Leopard before it had 8 updates as well. Tiger had 11. I cannot see how taking a minute to open your account in the MAS app on your wife's Mac to allow her Mac's OS to be updated, perhaps 8 to 11 times over the life of a operating system, is this great hardship or inconvenience.

Lion family pack with multiple Apple IDs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.