Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete hidden user account?

I have a hidden user account on my machine created by a livescribe installation. i've removed livescribe from my machine, but now want to delete the livescribe account that was created. anyone know how to do this?

thanks!

mark

iMac / iBook / iPhone, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Jun 15, 2011 2:36 PM

18 replies

Jun 16, 2011 12:37 AM in response to markmal

Good move methinks, but if you're interested, all Cats...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Mac_OS_X

Feb 3, 2012 6:20 AM in response to Charles Gloor

Thanks Charles, for posting your solution! It took me a couple hours trying to find this solution and the LiveScribe link here solved a similar problem I was having.

I had a "ghost user" living in my SL 10.6.8 MBP that I wanted to remove so I could re-use the name (and not have any leftover user accounts that the system was holding onto.) The old user I thought I had already deleted was revealed by Easyfind and showed up in Applejack as a user while in sudo mode, as Applejack allows you to choose which user prefs you want repair and caches you want to purge. I don't use Terminal much but it was very easy to delete the ghost in the machine by copying and pasting--in case someone else has the same issue here's what did the trick:

sudo dscl . delete /Users/GhostUserNameHere

You must use the exact [short] user name, case sensitive. It took me three tries because I left a space or incorrect cap usage, or used the Full Name which was very similar but capitalized differently. If you're inexperienced with Terminal it's important to remember you can completely screw yourself if you make a mistake so don't change anything before the last "/". Hope this helps someone!

Oct 24, 2012 5:39 PM in response to BDAqua

Can someone help me with this? I'm running OS X Lion 10.7.5. There is a user account named Other, when I click on it, it asked for a name and pwd. I just want to delete it cause it was created by an apple care technician. It was a temporary user account to trouble shoot another issue. I don't remeber the login info and it is not showing up in my "Users and Groups" pane under system preferences. It only shows up in the main log in screen when I start up my mac. How do I delete it?

How do I delete hidden user account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.