Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just noticed a shared user on my mac but I have no idea who this person is? Is my mac hacked?

HELP.. I just noticed there's a shared user on my macbook pro. What does this mean and how did this person get on my macbook? I have no idea who this person is and I would like them removed. I'm new to using a mac. Please help me. Thank you in advance for your help.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 19, 2011 9:22 PM

18 replies

Apr 1, 2017 8:54 AM in response to Serenity..

I just bought a new iMac this week (replacing my old one that had just turned 6yrs old! *sad*) and just noticed it myself. When googling about it (after a mini panic) I found this: https://community.shaw.ca/thread/34947 which may help you. I am with Rogers (Which is Shaw too) and use the wifi from their modem / router provided with their service and I'm 90% sure this is one in the same topic provided via the link I posted. Hope this helps! 🙂

Dec 8, 2017 7:25 AM in response to djfakjdkj

As was mentioned before in the thread. Computers appearing in the Shared section of Finder just means they are connected to the same network you are and your computer can see them.

It is not an issue, its how networking has always worked.

If people have sharing on, and there computers are discoverable, other computers will be able to see them when connected to the same network.

There is nothing wrong, and nothing that needs to be done from your side.

CE-Linux generally refers to some device that is using Consumer Electronic version of linux. It could be your router, or a smart home system, etc...

Jun 19, 2011 9:45 PM in response to Serenity..

Serenity.. wrote:

HELP.. I just noticed there's a shared user on my macbook pro. What does this mean and how did this person get on my macbook? I have no idea who this person is and I would like them removed. I'm new to using a mac. Please help me. Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi Serenity- I would say no your Mac is not hacked.

Are you using a wireless router? Is it password protected, if not that is your first step.

Under the >System Preferences>Sharing you can uncheck any or all.

In iTunes check to see Home sharing is not turned on under Advanced.

Also >System Preferences>Security turn on your firewall and stealth mode as options

This will protect you from broadcasting your Mac.

If you are comfortable with Terminal.app you can enter the command:

who

It could be someone in your vicinity is broadcasting there location and you happen to pick it up, but that does not mean they have to see your computer.

Turn off your bluetooth if you are not using it. This is a start. Hope it helps.

Jun 19, 2011 10:21 PM in response to leroydouglas

Hi there. Thank you for your time and the information. I still can't get this person whom ever it is off of my computer. I did all the steps you suggested. I didn't have a bluetooth on. Also, I tried to do what you said in my itunes now I can't get my itunes to work or close. I keep getting the buzz sound when I try to close out... Im still new to using a mac. I apologize..

Jun 20, 2011 7:34 AM in response to Serenity..

Serenity.. wrote:

Hi there. Thank you for your time and the information. I still can't get this person whom ever it is off of my computer. I did all the steps you suggested. I didn't have a bluetooth on. Also, I tried to do what you said in my itunes now I can't get my itunes to work or close. I keep getting the buzz sound when I try to close out... Im still new to using a mac. I apologize..

Hi Serenity- iTunes, turn it back on if that what it takes to make it work.

As long as you have looked at your options and changed what is appropriate, you are fine.

The point I was trying to make is it is the other computer simply broadcasting that they have shared files/folders available for you to access. No, they're not connected, and they're not trying to connect.

If you do not want to see them in the sidebar you can turn that option off in Finder> Preference>Shared uncheck your options here.

No worries

Jun 27, 2011 11:40 AM in response to leroydouglas

I don't know. I had the same problem yesterday and the user was a guy at work...but I never gave him any access whatsoever. His name appaeared right in the SHARED list. After I texted him to stop, a minute later the name was gone. I can't proveit and I didn't accuse him of anything, but it's odd that it would show up there.

So, you're saying this user wasn't really on my Mac, he was just allowing me to share his files?

I just noticed a shared user on my mac but I have no idea who this person is? Is my mac hacked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.