Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Refunds: Who has applied? Have you changed your mind? Have you had a response?

I have.

On one hand this program is currently of no use to me, and I simply don't have time to learn to use it. The money isn't a big factor for me (my concern about the future is), but if I am not going to be using it, I figured I might as well get a refund.

On the other hand I see a few nice little features which I might as well hang on to it for, and also, I can only hope, all the missing things that render it useless will come back... so I might as well hang on!

Either way, I haven't heard a peep from Apple since I applied for my refund (by three different means) yesterday at about 16:00 GMT.

Have you?

MacBook Pro (2011 Quad 2.3 i7), Mac OS X (10.6.7), 8Gb Ram, 250GB SSD

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 9:43 AM

127 replies

Jun 22, 2011 9:50 AM in response to NezihSavaskan

Heya RedHavoc,

I'm also dissatisfied (understatement) with how FCPx arrived out of the gate. But I have a feeling that given this type of uproar from the professional community that Apple will be adding back several of the key professional features very soon. I'm just incredibly thankful that my FCP7 can exist peacefully with this "iMovie Pro" so I can actually get some real work done.... 😕

Jun 22, 2011 10:02 AM in response to NezihSavaskan

I am definitely going to demand a refund. I cannot remember one time in my life that i have been deceived in such a horrible way. I am a proffesional, I work with clients. I don't sit at home editing my kid's birthday video. This software is unusable in a proffesional environment. My clients are production companies and they would laugh at me and tell me to go home if I said I use FCPX.

Where is apple in this discussion? I can see why they don't defend themselves, they know that we are right (hence the low price), but what about an explanation? An apology? A statement that they have chosen to leave the professional and focus on consumers?

I know for a fact that no post production house in Stockholm where I live and work will use this software. Not only because they don't want to, but also because if they did they would not get the jobs done. It's simply not possible with this app, it's that far from professional.

Jun 22, 2011 10:38 AM in response to NezihSavaskan

I went into an apple high street store today and they promised me that a refund would be possible and help sort it out because FCPX will not read the footage from my camera so is useless to me. I thought it might be easier to do it in person than online as I could literaly go in there on a regular basis to annoy them if they don't!

Incidentally, apart from being annoyed at FCPX being absolutely useless to me, I am actually very surprised and happy with motion 5 which I bought at the same time. This release does seem to have improved massively in performance and have a few new useful features. They also dropped the price to almost nothing for motion 5 (£30) which is very reasonable.

I also just found out that lightworks which is a serious pro editing app has now been open sourced and is totally free. I might be switching to that for a while and watch FCP from the side line. Currently windows only but they are currently porting to linux/mac os x which will be ready soon.

http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

Jun 22, 2011 12:25 PM in response to phonax

If you are talking about FCPX, I just checked and I don't even have the option to "Share -> movie in motion" anywhere in the menus. I assumed they hadn't added that feature yet like so many other things! I was using motion standalone to try something out that wasn't separate from a final cut project. Motion didn't crash on me and was a lot faster with lots of objects/layers than before.

Jun 22, 2011 12:25 PM in response to NezihSavaskan

Applied for a refund late last night. Got an automated reply, but nothing else so far. Here's what I put in the "details" field:

I would like a refund for my purchase of Final Cut Pro X. The inability to handle XML interchange or export OMFs for mixing—let alone v10.0's incapacity to load project files from previous Final Cut versions—make the software functionally useless. The fact that these limitations are not mentioned on the product's App Store page or in any of Apple's promotional materials is highly misleading. Please return my money.

If Apple ever manages to make something useful out of FCPX in the future I'd be more than happy to buy it, but in the meantime I think I'll need that $300 for my CS5.5 fund.

Jun 22, 2011 12:42 PM in response to monkeybrainsmedia

monkeybrainsmedia wrote:

I also just found out that lightworks which is a serious pro editing app has now been open sourced and is totally free. I might be switching to that for a while and watch FCP from the side line. Currently windows only but they are currently porting to linux/mac os x which will be ready soon.

http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

Just a heads up on that - Lightworks is currently developing an open source product, it isn't out yet and the current version doesn't run on Mac or Linux.

I work for an open source company and edit video continually, so I've been in talks with Lightworks developers about getting this product in my hands. Q4 2011 would be optimistic at best, but I am definitely leaning strongly toward dumping FCP if the evaluation is strong.

Edit: I re-read your post and saw that you had that information - sorry for double-posting 🙂

Jun 22, 2011 1:10 PM in response to Sean Huck

@sean Actually lightworks beta is available for download now to try out. Just register and the downloads will become active. I just downloaded it but I erased my windows partition a while back as wasn't using it for anything. I think I will reinstall and try it out as this is such a disaster. Just going through the FCPX manual and so many things are not behaving as it says they should its quite stunning. Clicking on a clip and it selecting something completely different. Crashing when trimming. All sorts.

@phonax I still don't get a way to export clips to motion. I can render the whole timeline as a movie but that is not what I would want to do to get into motion. I would want to export just a few clips, staying in their layers to add some effects in motion is what I would want.

Jun 22, 2011 2:34 PM in response to NezihSavaskan

Look what I just received in my inbox:

Dear Nezih,

Greeting from Apple iTunes Store Customer Support. I am Sridhar and I am glad to assist you today.

Firstly, I would like to apologize for the delay in our response. This is certainly not the customary wait time for a reply from iTunes Store Customer Support. We have been experiencing higher than expected volumes of e-mail, and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I'm sorry to learn that you purchased a app called "Final Cut Pro" and it is not working as you expected. I know how eager you are to have this issue resolved.

I would like to inform you that I have reversed the charge for "Final Cut Pro," which I understand you purchased unintentionally. In three to five business days, a credit of £179.99 GBP should be posted to the credit card that appears on the receipt for that purchase.

If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to reply to this email and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

I would like to inform you that a follow-up will be sent to you within 24 hours for verifying the issue is resolved.

You are a valued iTunes Store customer, and your satisfaction is of the utmost importance. Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Sridhar

iTunes Store Customer Support

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/ww/

Please Note: I work Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday, 11AM-8PM CST

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you. You may receive an AppleCare survey email; any feedback you provide would be greatly appreciated.

Customer First Name : nezih

Customer Last Name : ********

email : *************

Web Order # :

Support Subject : iTunes Store Account and Billing

Sub Issue : Billing Inquiries

See additional info below

OS version: Mac OS X 10.6.x

iTunes version: iTunes 10.3

Apple ID:

Specific request: I have an invoice question

Details:

179.00, Final cuts purchased customer doesn't feel it does what felt it should do.Would like to discuss a refund..

TrackID: 15333402

Jun 22, 2011 2:54 PM in response to NezihSavaskan

Agreed.

Had those features been of importance to Apple, they would have been included into THIS release.

Just look up Logic Pro.... It USED to be a REAL professional application (It is still used professionally) but all its features are now highly consumer oriented. They killed it. But they monetized the H out of it. And that is what Apple has become. Money. Used to be spirit. Now its money. And nothing wrong with that. If that is what your aim is, great going.

Will Final Cut X be the most used PAID-FOR-APP... YES. But not in the pro-world. And WHO cares. The Pros. NOT THE MAKERS... The Pros make 1% (if that much) of all the users. So screw us.

Refunds: Who has applied? Have you changed your mind? Have you had a response?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.