Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP X stabilization?

I have some obviously shaky footage that is handled well by FCP7 and the steadycam facility. The same footage analysed in FCPX doesn't seem to be stable at all. If the 'button' is active it just seems to zoom in a little and produce no greater stability. Am I missing something. I can't imagine the stabilization engine is worse in FCPX than 7.0.

Any ideas?

Mark.

dual 3.2Ghz quad core, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 2:17 PM

29 replies

Jun 22, 2011 10:34 PM in response to MarkWithers

Stabilization in FCP X does not work for me either. I allowed FCP X to complete analysis of the clip, dropped the clip in the timeline, ensured the stabilization button was checked in the info pane, rendered the timeline and found that it did not work. I adjusted the stabilization sliders with no affect.

I tried the same clip in iMovie and got acceptable correction (although this does not always work. Sometimes FCP 7 works better than iMovie)

I tried stabilizing the same clip in FCP 7 and got much better results than FCP X. About the same as iMovie for the same clip.

Jun 24, 2011 1:01 AM in response to mjcollinge

I suspect the FCPX stabalization like the FCP7 smoothcam doesn't support interlaced footage correclty. Is your footage interlaced? I normally film in 1080 50i.

I discovered this in FCP7 when monitoring using my Matrox MXO breakout box. Footage with the smoothcam filter in FCP7 looked really jittery. I now use the Lock and Load 3rd party plugin for stabalization, which does support interlaced footage correctly. Guess I wont be able to use this in FCPX either!

Jun 24, 2011 2:10 AM in response to MarkWithers

It looks to me like if you select Stabilisation on import it just runs the Dominant Motion detection (the time consuming bit) against the clips.

If you click the little drop down arrow (top left the clip) it should either say 'Stabilize' or 'Analyze and Stabilize' depending on how you imported.

And yeah, until that Stabilization is complete don't turn it off in the video properties or it seems to start again. Until it's done you will see very jerky results - well I did, maybe your hardware is better.

I found it works well although I got some understandable warping where it tried to smooth some jerky motion. I applied the Rolling Shutter correction on Extra High which I think made some difference.

Jun 24, 2011 2:45 AM in response to alexgrainger

alexgrainger wrote:

I suspect the FCPX stabalization like the FCP7 smoothcam doesn't support interlaced footage correclty. Is your footage interlaced? I normally film in 1080 50i.

<...>

'People' detection doesn't work at all with interlaced media, either. With the mess that is FCPX I have no idea if it is a bug or a 'feature'. Convert the video to progressive and it works.

Jun 25, 2011 3:53 PM in response to MarkWithers

It's pretty naff to be honest. The lack of control options hurts it a lot - No region control. No trackers. No presets on the rolling shutter. Then if you use Motion the trackers that are available there are terrible, not communicating with each other at all, if you manually track moderately shaky footage then you can't use the analysis for the tracking. You get a far better track using the free Voodoo tracker (but then using that data to stabilize footage is of course rather more work). Compared to the AE5.5 stabilization and rolling shutter removal it's like something out of the dark ages.

Jun 25, 2011 4:00 PM in response to alexgrainger

alexgrainger wrote:

I suspect the FCPX stabalization like the FCP7 smoothcam doesn't support interlaced footage correclty.

Wow, if that is the case you just answered my question I put out there over a year ago. Smoothcam worked like a charm in FCP6 but totally dropped the ball in 7.

Thank god for Stabilize in Motion, it works perfectly AND doesn't take forever to analyse.

Jun 26, 2011 12:25 PM in response to Sticky Pixels

Interestingly I got the problem today after setting up a new project. The previous project worked fine.

I tracked it down, I'm pretty sure, to ProRes media transcoded with Interleaving - I had 1080i 50 field/sec media (which shows up of course as 1080i 25 frames/sec). I had let the media completely transcode and then applied stabilisation and once done absolutely no discernable difference.

I then spotted another thread mentioning that people recognition didn't work on interleaved media so I deleted the clip entirely and re imported it, let it transcode to ProRes and changed the Field Dominance to Progressive prior to stabilising - et voila it worked!

Interestingly the first time I used the stabilisation also worked on media that was still in 1080i but hadn't been transcoded to ProRes because I forgot to check the Import option. This was AVCHD media being stored with a 'H.264, Linear PCM, Timecode' codec.

Anyway, hope that helps somebody until they sort it out.

Oh, almost forgot. There seems to be no way whatsover to make FCPX reanalyse the media once it's done the job. I had to delete the media totally and reimport it to be able to get it working.

FCP X stabilization?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.