Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't numbers let me save my spreadsheet?????

I have a spreadsheet that I have been working with for months now. Suddenly Numbers tells me I can't save the file after making changes to it. What is happening. I am a former PC user and while I absolutely love my Mac and wouldn't go back, I must say Numbers and Pages have been a huge disappointment.

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 12:25 PM

30 replies

Jun 27, 2011 1:20 PM in response to Wayne Contello

I haven't really used the Apple community before, and I have to say I am very impressed with how willing people are to help and how quickly I got responses.

I guess I will have to go the "repair permissions" route. Unfortunately, the spreadsheet is quite large (10 pages/sheets). So I am still feeling bitter about the software itself. Any idea why this happened in the first place?

Would you recommend switching to MS Office for Mac?

Jun 27, 2011 1:26 PM in response to Idonthavetimeforthis

Idonthavetimeforthis wrote:

I haven't really used the Apple community before, and I have to say I am very impressed with how willing people are to help and how quickly I got responses.

I guess I will have to go the "repair permissions" route. Unfortunately, the spreadsheet is quite large (10 pages/sheets). So I am still feeling bitter about the software itself. Any idea why this happened in the first place?

Would you recommend switching to MS Office for Mac?

Excel is a truly excellent 🙂 program, the rest of Office less so, you'd have to choose, I grew up in Excel and still find Numbers rather limiting, but ...

In Pages Numbers do you have the option to 'move or copy' spreadsheets to another file (in Excel the option appears when you rightclick one of the sheet tabs at the bottom of the page) I am no Numbers expert so someone else may chime in on this. But assuming you do copy the whole thing to a new workbook and save that.

Jun 27, 2011 1:26 PM in response to Idonthavetimeforthis

I went into Finder/Get Info/Permissions. It should that I had permission to read and write to the file, contrary to the error message I got. None-the-less, I set the permissions to everyone and then saving the file worked????

So something strange happened to the permissions. Which I am still baffled about. Makes me really question the integrity of Numbers.

Thanks again for your helpful suggestions.

Jun 27, 2011 1:28 PM in response to Csound1

I have to say I agree with you in terms of Numbers being limiting. Simple things like being able to create hyperlinks between sheets within a work book isn't available in Numbers. I must say I was surprised that Apple didn't produce a better product in this arena, when everything else they do seems to work pretty seamlessly.

Thanks again for your help.

Why won't numbers let me save my spreadsheet?????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.