Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple SSD SM128 Trim support?

I have an older MacBook Air (2009 I believe) that has an Apple SSD SM128.

I'm told the latest version of Mac OS X version 10.6.8 enables TRIM support for all Apple SSD's.

I installed 10.6.8, but my system still reads "TRIM support no" when I check the System Profiler.

Does anyone know how I can get TRIM support for my SSD.

Thanks,

Sean

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 5:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 5:08 PM

The Trim Support introduced in 10.6.8 is designed for the MacBook Pro's introduced in 2011. Your update to 10.6.8 is working correctly. That being said you may want to keep your eye on Lion when it's released. Unfortunately per the Terms of Use of this forum we can't discuss future products other than what Apple has already released.

Roger

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2011 5:08 PM in response to 59seank

The Trim Support introduced in 10.6.8 is designed for the MacBook Pro's introduced in 2011. Your update to 10.6.8 is working correctly. That being said you may want to keep your eye on Lion when it's released. Unfortunately per the Terms of Use of this forum we can't discuss future products other than what Apple has already released.

Roger

Jun 28, 2011 11:19 AM in response to 59seank

I too have a Late 2009 Macbook Air with the APPLE SSD SM128 installed. I'm running 10.6.8 and was disappointed to find that TRIM support was not enabled for my SSD drive. Hopefully Lion will provide for TRIM support.

I also think the reporting should be clear on which models/versions of SSD drives actually are supported under 10.6.8. This would save confusion and, in my case, frustration.

Jun 28, 2011 3:33 PM in response to Lexiepex

Thanks Lex for the link to the LifeHacker page. It says:

"The only way to figure this out is to Google your SSD's model number and find out if it supports TRIM."

I assume the firmware of the SSD has to support TRIM, but I have googled everywhere and cannot find anything about firmware TRIM support for my MacBook Air drive.

Model: APPLE SSD SM128

Revision: VAM0BA1Q

Serial Number: SE932A7465

Does anyone know if the firmware for my drive will support TRIM? Is it possible for Apple to release a firmware update to add TRIM support for this drive?

Thanks

Jun 29, 2011 4:13 AM in response to 59seank

Hi 59,

I found the number as Samsung 128GB MLC SSD.

on this page

http://www.samsung.com/fr/consumer/it/ssd-card/ssd-card/MZ-5PA128/EU/index.idx?p agetype=prd_detail&returnurl=

I read that this SSD has trim support inside, meaning that perhaps you should enable trim support in OS.

But since you have used the disk already a certain time, I suggest that you "clean" the free space according to the recommendations on the lifehacker page (be sure to enter the Terminal commands exactly as written there).

Succes, Lexxie71

Apple SSD SM128 Trim support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.