Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing...

I get this warning when I try to install Windows 7 Home Premium on my iMac using Bootcamp Assistant. I went through the whole setup and installation guide, but to no avail. I have successfully gone through all steps in the process, including partitioning the disk. This error comes up on the first stage of the setup.

The full error message is:

A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.

Note: If the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step.

I have the original disk for my system, but I can't insert it in the middle of the process. I think I need the drivers to install Windows 7, but I can't install the drive until Windows 7 is installed.

How do I fix this?

Thanks-YA

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 2:53 PM

29 replies

Jun 30, 2011 9:16 AM in response to MichelA

That option is not available, as I am installing Windows 7 Home Premium. But I did find a button labeled 'Repair Your Computer'. I click it, and then it asks me for some kind of media with the drivers on it. I hit a button labeled 'load drivers' and selected the bootcamp partition, but it does not work. It appears that the system is asking for some sort of media. What could it be? I also tried the Snow Leopard installation disk and selected the exe in the bootcamp directory. It wasn't asking for that either. What does it want?

Jun 30, 2011 10:20 AM in response to YoungApprenice

Advanced Options... is where you format FAT to NTFS

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

- and any applle tech articles that may help and offer how to.

you did not go into the Install and step to select the Target partition.

You only need to install drivers if you have MBAir or some iMac models. Otherwise, it is after Windows is up and running that you run SETUP.exe from OS X DVD while in Windows of course (then update to 3.2 thru multiple restarts and steps using Windows Apple Software Update or manually).

A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.