Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OKI C6150 - Toner Waste Bin Full

I own an OKI C6150dn LED laser printer.

Yesterday, I updated my OS from Snow Leopard 10.6.7 to 16.6.8. Then, today, as I attempt to print to my OKI printer, I have begun getting the error message "Ink/toner waste bin full! OPC almost at end-of-life." Clicking on the Printer Setup in the Print Queue window, the bottom of the list has the entry "Waste Toner box OKI DATA CORP unknown." So, I tried to locate the so-called toner waste bin by referring to the printer's owner manual. I could not find such a waste bin.

So, I called the OKI Tech Support. The rep I spoke with told me that OKI had been flooded with calls regarding the above error message from owners of C6100 and C6150 series printers and that these owners are all Macintosh users who have updated their OS to 10.6.8. The rep stated that the C6150 printer does NOT have a toner waste bin and that the error message is generated by the OS. As a result, OKI of course cannot do anything about it until Apple issues a fix.

This incident reminds me of Snow Leopard breaking printing from Adobe CS5 with some particular types of fonts in documents. It had lingered on until Apple issued a software patch.

It is frustrating to deal with these issues. What would I do if my OKI refused to print because the OS thinks the toner waste bin is full? Ridiculous.

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on Jun 30, 2011 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2011 2:44 PM

The 10.6.8 update appears to have made changes to SNMP observations from printers. In my lab I have seen similar events flagged, such as low paper in media trays and toner warnings. While these warnings haven't stopped me from printing I think that many of the problems we are seeing with printing errors after the update are due to this change. And this is confirmed by an alert that EFI posted for owners of their Fiery print controllers. They have issued an instruction to modify the printers PPD with the following comment "cupsSNMPSupplies: False". By setting this to false the Mac will not obtain the toner level information and thus allow the Mac to print without an error.

So I would suggest that you need to check with OKI if there is a similar setting in the C6150 PPD. And BTW, the machine will have a waste toner bin. It may not be a separate container as some models have, but it will be present - most likley it is part of the toner cartridge. All toner devices need to have a waste toner section, as all the toner on the drum surface is not used when you print so the remaining toner is scrapped off the drum before it exposed to light and new toner again.

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2011 2:44 PM in response to profinite

The 10.6.8 update appears to have made changes to SNMP observations from printers. In my lab I have seen similar events flagged, such as low paper in media trays and toner warnings. While these warnings haven't stopped me from printing I think that many of the problems we are seeing with printing errors after the update are due to this change. And this is confirmed by an alert that EFI posted for owners of their Fiery print controllers. They have issued an instruction to modify the printers PPD with the following comment "cupsSNMPSupplies: False". By setting this to false the Mac will not obtain the toner level information and thus allow the Mac to print without an error.

So I would suggest that you need to check with OKI if there is a similar setting in the C6150 PPD. And BTW, the machine will have a waste toner bin. It may not be a separate container as some models have, but it will be present - most likley it is part of the toner cartridge. All toner devices need to have a waste toner section, as all the toner on the drum surface is not used when you print so the remaining toner is scrapped off the drum before it exposed to light and new toner again.

Jun 30, 2011 4:09 PM in response to PAHU

Thanks, PAHU, for your information and comments.

About PPD: I thought that OKI PPD's would be in /Library/Printers. Thought I see two folders named OKIDATA and OKIDATACORP, I don't see PPD's in them. And, the PPDs folder doesn't have OKI PPD's, either.

About Waste Toner Bins: Yes, according to the service manual for my OKI printer, it is part of each toner cartridge. The OKI Tech Support said that their high-end printers do have separate waste toner bins.

Would you be able to help me with where I could find PPD's for my printer? Thanks again for your help! 🙂

Jun 30, 2011 5:16 PM in response to profinite

For 10.6, PPDs should be copied to /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources. But they may also reside within the folder en.lproj under the Resources folder. You will find that the PPD will exist in a compressed format, such as gzip (.gz). If you do locate the PPD then copy it to the Desktop, unpack it (double-click) and then you can use TextEdit to open it as it is just a text file. With the document open you can search for SNMP or Toner or Supplies.

Jul 1, 2011 4:19 AM in response to PAHU

PAHU - I could not find any .gz files either in /Resources or in /Resources/en.lproj folders that have OKI in their names. In the /en.lproj folder, however, there are text files named OKI C6050 and OKI C6150. But, these files are merely Console logs. Does it appear strange to you? Where else would the OKI PPD's be residing?

I have a latest driver installer from OKI, called OSX Installer C6000 Series. But, the installer is a VISE application and I don't know how to look inside the installer to find relevant PPD files.

Jul 2, 2011 7:36 PM in response to profinite

profinite wrote:

PAHU - I could not find any .gz files either in /Resources or in /Resources/en.lproj folders that have OKI in their names. In the /en.lproj folder, however, there are text files named OKI C6050 and OKI C6150. But, these files are merely Console logs. Does it appear strange to you? Where else would the OKI PPD's be residing?

Sorry for confusing you. Some installers do add the PPDs as text files rather than compressed files. So what you see in the en.lproj folder will be the PPDs. And they won't be Console log files. You will probably find that Console has been configured to open this file or you may have selected Console if prompted. So with the PPD located you can Control Click (or right click) and select Open With > TextEdit and then browse through the file.

Reading through some of the posts regarding others with SNMP causing printing problems, some have taken the easy option of simply disabling SNMP in the printer. For many new printers you can access the internal settings via the printers web interface (simple type the printers IP address into your web browser). If the same can be done with your OKI then disabling SNMP may prove a quicker solution for you until OKI can determine a fix.

Jul 2, 2011 7:41 PM in response to Desmond Foulger

Hello Desmond.

Obviously Apple needs to get A into G and bring out a fix fast

It's not all Apple, otherwise every brand of printer would have an issue and I can tell you that Canon is not suffering from the 10.6.8 update. So in your case, Konica Minolta needs to provide a later driver that is compatible with the 10.6.8 and at this point in time 10.7 also.

Jul 5, 2011 4:43 AM in response to PAHU

Hi Pahu,

I'm seeing the same "OPC at end-of-life!" error at work on a Fuji-Xerox printer and at home on a Dell printer immediately after updating to Mac OS X 10.6.8. Therefore I believe this is an issue for Apple to address and not just for one or two printer vendors.

As others have reported, this appears to be a cosmetic error with no functional impact.

Regards,

Luke.

Jul 5, 2011 6:23 PM in response to profinite

profinite wrote:

Furthermore, I accessed my OKI C6150 from http://127.0.0.1:631/ and see if I can configure SNMP from there. But, I don't seem to be able to do so.

The URL you have entered is the CUPS web page. This will not let you change the SNMP setting on the printer. What you need to do is enter the IP address of the OKI C6150 to connect to its internal web page. Then via one of these pages you should have an option to disable SNMP.

Jul 5, 2011 6:48 PM in response to lucky_luke

lucky_luke wrote:

I'm seeing the same "OPC at end-of-life!" error at work on a Fuji-Xerox printer and at home on a Dell printer immediately after updating to Mac OS X 10.6.8. Therefore I believe this is an issue for Apple to address and not just for one or two printer vendors.

A drum end of life message is not generated by the OS. This is a message coming from the printer. So this would suggest that the issue was there when you had 10.6.7 and not reported. But after the 10.6.8 update the SNMP alerts are now being 'seen' by the Mac and reported.

Apple did state that 10.6.8 introduced changes to prepare the Mac for an upgrade to Lion. And while the Mac has previously been able to show errors for a USB connected printer, the same was not always the case for networked printers. So based on my experience I would say that Apple will not make changes and it will expect that vendors create new drivers to work with the update. This is the case now Lion. Any vendor who did not create a driver meant for 10.6 will be forced to do so very soon for Lion. Otherwise there will be many early adopters who will suffer printing issues the minute after they manage to install the new OS.

Jul 6, 2011 4:59 AM in response to PAHU

PAHU - There are two things that I can report today:

SNMP Disabled via LCD panel on the printer

I was able to find, among menu commands, that I can indeed manually disable SNMP on my OKI C6150dn.

User uploaded file

SNMP Disabled - Confirmed via direct IP access

I accessed the printer's IP address directly and confirmed that SNMP is indeed disabled.

User uploaded file

With SNMP disabled, I attempted to print. However, I was greeted with the same old error message "Ink/toner waste bin full. OPC almost at end-of-life."

Any other suggestions? 😟

Jul 6, 2011 2:30 PM in response to profinite

With SNMP disabled then the driver must be using some other protocol to determine the printer status, or the printer does not have the problems the driver is stating and the driver is at fault.

So you could try deleting the current print queue and creating another, this time using Generic Postscript for the Print Using menu. This would show whether the message is related to the OKI driver.

OKI C6150 - Toner Waste Bin Full

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.