Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I sort songs alphabetically in iTunes?

It started with iPad and iPod-- suddenly I couldn't sort all songs a to z. They were sorted by group, then by song name. Now in iTunes its the same problem. How do I sort by song name only?

Posted on Jul 8, 2011 3:13 PM

35 replies

Jul 10, 2011 12:12 PM in response to ed2345

I'm pretty sure I've done that to no avail. I'll try again tomorrow and maybe even record the event on video. Of course with any luck I was just tired and doing it wrong last time!

But this still leaves the problem of the devices. Am I wrong in thinking the latest version of software for the iPod and iPad prevent complete alphabetical listings of the songs? Have I possibly screwed up the indexing data somehow?

Jul 21, 2011 1:54 PM in response to Lord Zero

LZ, Well that sheds some light on the mystery.

Any idea how the Sort Name filed got populated with Artist-Name? Since the Sort Name, if populated, overrides the Name in sorting, that apparently explains what you are seeing.

iTunes lets you edit the Sort Name for individual tracks, but not for multiple tracks at a time. Perhaps there is a tagging program that can handle it.

Jul 21, 2011 5:38 PM in response to Lord Zero

Okay so that is the cause. Man, finding a program has been a huge disappointment:

There is a program called "Rinse" that everyone says to avoid.

"TuneUp" plugin is incompatible with iTunes 10.4 which is what is installed on this machine.

And most others either don't seem to do this, or else they aren't compatible with latest iTunes or Windows 7.

*sigh*

Any reommendations, anyone? Not looking forward to manually editing 10,000 songs!

And what is the best way to manually edit "sort name" field anyway. Can i just blank them all out?

Jul 21, 2011 5:49 PM in response to Lord Zero

Yes you can just blank them all out. Select a bunch of tracks, get info. and place a tick against the empty sort name box on the sorting tab to erase all the current data in those fields. Oops, forgot it doesn't quite work like that, however I wrote a script called ClearSortName which will do the trick for you.

For tips on useful changes you can make that might help get your library in shape see http://samsoft.org.uk/iTunes/grouping.asp

tt2

How can I sort songs alphabetically in iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.