Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need a virus software for iPad2?

iPad 2, iOS 4

Posted on Jul 9, 2011 12:31 PM

21 replies

Oct 1, 2011 4:36 PM in response to Julian Wright

Julian Wright wrote:

By who?

By Apple: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3743

Well they just want to prevent users from being confused or pirating apps. It's not a problem if you are experienced.

Just saying, I greatly oppose app piracy since it does not give programmers payment and gives jailbreaking a really bad name. A little modification for some more OS freedom is a good thing, however.

Oct 1, 2011 4:36 PM in response to Mac OS 9000

Mac OS 9000 wrote:

Julian Wright wrote:

By who?

Well they just want to prevent users from being confused or pirating apps. It's not a problem if you are experienced.

Just saying, I greatly oppose app piracy since it does not give programmers payment and gives jailbreaking a really bad name. A little modification for some more OS freedom is a good thing, however.

That would be Android, go check it out.

Oct 1, 2011 4:38 PM in response to Csound1

Csound1 wrote:

Mac OS 9000 wrote:

Julian Wright wrote:

By who?

That would be Android, go check it out.

Nah, Android is garbage. iOS with some legal modifications like a non-"pushing" password keypad so people can't see your password is superior to anarchy...

Oct 2, 2011 11:25 AM in response to Julian Wright

Yeah, I agree, Apple should and does discourage jailbreaking because of this. At least it requires some experience to jailbreak in the first place now that jailbreakme is gone. That site is a bad idea.

Julian Wright wrote:

It's not a problem if you are experienced.

Unfortunately, lots of inexperienced people also try it, and end up messing up their phone, with no clue how to fix it. And then they expect Apple to help them fix their self-made problems...

Oct 2, 2011 11:37 AM in response to edsapigao

In response to the original question: Yes, if it existed.

People argue about whether iPads or Apple OSes can get infected. So I will, for the moment stipulate that Apple OSes are not infectable.

But even if they can't "get infected", Apple machines can certainly act as "carriers". By "carrier" I mean (for example) someone with an iPad or other Apple device receiving an infected email attachment from a Windows user then forwarding that infected email attachment to another Windows user (or group of users). It does happen. I've seen it happen.

But to the original point, I am unfortunately unaware of any antivirus or other internet security software for the iPad. Which is one reason (in addition to others) why I rely on very stringent router security, including restricted MAC address access and WPA2. Not perfect but it is the best I can think of.

All civil, polite responses/rejoinders/corrections welcome.

Oct 2, 2011 3:34 PM in response to JohnnyAngel69

Hi Everyone!

Just a quick response as I explore this new (to me) forum:

I have my old Mac G4 with Norton Anti Virus for Mac v. 11 on it

I've been told the story you don't need it, but I deal with the worst offenders of PC security every day so to protect my Mac I have it as a safety.

Some have told me stories that Norton will corrupt things like iPhoto. Some have told me to remove it. I don't know, I feel safer knowing its looking for anything that might infect a Mac. I know I just pass along the thousands of viruses I see infecting my colleagues PC's every day, but again, that is why I use a Mac (of course they complain they can't read things my computer sends them and I can't read things (like windat) that they unknowingly send me but I just work it out day by day.

Since I see the topic is about virus protection for iPad (which I also have iPad 1), does anyone have opinions about the use of Norton Anti-Virus for Mac?

(Should this be a separate thread/question? if so I'll move it off) Sorry, not a constant user of Forums.

HelpMe with Keynote (My User name here)

Oct 2, 2011 4:58 PM in response to HelpMe with Keynote

Norton Antivirus is a horrible thing to have on your Mac. I installed it a long time ago because I thought I had a virus for some reason. All it did was randomly delete files that weren't viruses and run the stupid updater constantly. It's worse than a virus, even on Windows.

And your Mac cannot get a virus. The only thing that can happen is you somehow download MACdefender and open it, enter your password, and give it your credit card number. There's also an obvious malware in some pirated iWork thing, but that's also really old and undownloadable now.

Even if you want to get rid of viruses so you can't spread them to Windows users, Norton is a really invasive antivirus. You should get some kind of scanner that doesn't run processes in the background.

HelpMe with Keynote wrote:

Hi Everyone!

Just a quick response as I explore this new (to me) forum:

I have my old Mac G4 with Norton Anti Virus for Mac v. 11 on it

I've been told the story you don't need it, but I deal with the worst offenders of PC security every day so to protect my Mac I have it as a safety.

Some have told me stories that Norton will corrupt things like iPhoto. Some have told me to remove it. I don't know, I feel safer knowing its looking for anything that might infect a Mac. I know I just pass along the thousands of viruses I see infecting my colleagues PC's every day, but again, that is why I use a Mac (of course they complain they can't read things my computer sends them and I can't read things (like windat) that they unknowingly send me but I just work it out day by day.

Since I see the topic is about virus protection for iPad (which I also have iPad 1), does anyone have opinions about the use of Norton Anti-Virus for Mac?

(Should this be a separate thread/question? if so I'll move it off) Sorry, not a constant user of Forums.

HelpMe with Keynote (My User name here)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.