Newsroom Update

Today, Apple announced that from 2020 through 2023, the App Store prevented a total of over $7 billion in potentially fraudulent transactions. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store icon erroneously shows updates pending

On my iMac, the App Store icon in the dock shows that there is an update to be downloaded, as follows:

User uploaded file

... but when the App Store app is launched, there is nothing waiting to be updated, and the icon clears:

User uploaded file

I only purchase from one Apple site (Japan), but also often access US and UK sites for freebies.

However, as soon as I quit the App Store app, the alert reappears.

Separately from this issue, I have a problem with iPhoto 11 (ver 9.1.1), which I upgraded from iPhoto '08 via the App Store.

While searching the pertinent discussion pages, I discovered that iPhoto is now up to version 9.1.5, but all attempts to update this app via the App Store fail.

After downloading the update manually from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1411, it seems incompatible with my App Store downloaded version!

So my questions are:

1) How can I clear that "Update pending" alert from the icon in the dock?

2) How can I upgrade iPhoto 11, which I understand must now be done via the App Store?

Any help with either aspect of this query much appreciated.

... Tony

iMac G5 (Power PC), Mac OS X (10.6.8), 250 GB HD / 20" screen

Posted on Jul 14, 2011 1:53 AM

13 replies

Jul 14, 2011 4:45 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Dear Carolyn,

Thank you for taking the time to respond, but it would be more useful if you read my message and specs before gushing out what appears to be your stock answer to everything.

For #1.

Install the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo.

As stated in the specs at the bottom, I have already updated to 10.6.8: iMac G5 (Power PC), Mac OS X (10.6.8), 250 GB HD / 20" screen

For number 2. The most recent iPhoto 11 version is 9.1.5

Previously, I wrote:

Separately from this issue, I have a problem with iPhoto 11 (ver 9.1.1), which I upgraded from iPhoto '08 via the App Store.

While searching the pertinent discussion pages, I discovered that iPhoto is now up to version 9.1.5, but all attempts to update this app via the App Store fail.

After downloading the update manually from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1411, it seems incompatible with my App Store downloaded version!

If you have something cogent to add, please do so, otherwise it just looks like you're trying to rack up points.

Sincerely... Tony

Jul 14, 2011 5:01 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Can you tell me on what basis you believe this is any different from the update that I received automatically when I ran Software Update on June 24th (or thereabouts)?

As you can see from the System Requirements in the screenshot below, this update does not apply once your system is up to 10.6.8 - as mine is.

User uploaded file

Apart from anything else, why in God's name would Apple release a separate update that users had to search out and install if it includes bug fixes?

I seriously doubt your competence in this area.

... Tony

Jul 14, 2011 6:35 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

I simply don't see what your point is regarding the Google search.

All that tells me is that Combo updates exist, not that they are any different from those downloaded via Software Update, as you seem to be alleging.

Despite my skepticism, and just to prove my point, I did download the 10.6.8 combo update and re-installed it on the off-chance that something unforeseen had gone wrong with the previous update.

User uploaded file

Then after rebooting, I checked again whether either Software Update or the App Store would recognise that my iPhoto version was out of date.

Neither did.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Furthermore, attempts to update manually from dmg files (9.1.3 & 9.1.5) downloaded from the Apple site both failed with the following message:

User uploaded file

So I'm back where I started at the beginning of this thread.

Correction - after changing the country setting to USA (from UK, I think, but it may have been Japan), the Update alert badge on the App Store icon in the dock has now disappeared. Related? Who knows, but certainly nothing to do with this advice, as it happened before I attempted this little test.

The iPhoto version issue remains, and I don't know whether it belongs in the App Store discussions or the iPhoto discussions.

So can anyone else come up with a credible answer?

Would be appreciated... thanks, Tony

Jul 14, 2011 11:43 AM in response to Perennial beginner

The combo update includes App Store fixes that were not included in the original v10.6.8 update.

That said, there is a difference between the 10.6.8 Update Delta and the 10.6.8 Update Combo. And seemingly unknown to her, either can be supplied through Software Update. Which is offered by SU depends on what version of Mac OS X Snow Leopard is installed when the user runs SU. The 10.6.8 Update Delta can only update a Mac running 10.6.7. The Update Combo can update a Mac running any version of 10.6 through 10.6.7 to 10.6.8.

Many folks recommend manually installing an Update Combo as a general troubleshooting measure. It can often fill in the blanks that may exist on someone's kit. But I often recommend it as a last resort because many of us developing worlders have limited downloads. Based on some personal experiments, I have found that the Update Combo is the only one of the 2 that can replace a deleted Mac App Store and have it work properly. The delta will install a MAS but it does not work. The combo installs a MAS and it does work.

As far as your iPhoto problem, Trash the app. Restart your Mac. Open the MAS and it should allow you to download iPhoto again. The app that downloads should be the newest version. Do not worry about your photo library, it is not stored in the application bundle that you Trashed. The library is located in your Home folder; ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library.

<Edited by Host>

Jul 14, 2011 11:43 AM in response to Dah•veed

Hi Dah•veed,

Thank you for your reply.

If the information is incorrect, I'm going to go with "mistake" !

As far as your iPhoto problem, Trash the app. Restart your Mac. Open the MAS and it should allow you to download iPhoto again. The app that downloads should be the newest version. Do not worry about your photo library, it is not stored in the application bundle that you Trashed. The library is located in your Home folder; ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library.

The advice sounds solid, but when I go back into the App Store, it doesn't offer to re-download it again, only to buy it again! It is however the latest version as you surmised, but given the aggro this app has caused, I'm ****** if I'm going to pay twice over for it!

User uploaded file

Any suggestions why it doesn't recognise that I bought it previously? Or am I going to have to retrieve the app from the trash?

Thanks again... Tony

Edit: Subsequent to that message, I did indeed "Put back" the app from the trash, and once again the App Store shows the app as "Installed" but still not worthy of an update!

User uploaded file

Message was edited by: Perennial beginner

<Edited by Host>

Jul 14, 2011 10:25 AM in response to Perennial beginner

Update: Hopefully final!

After relaunching (yet again), I clicked on the "Purchases" option in the App Store, and now for the first time, it asked me to sign in; something that I had assumed I was already.

Upon signing in, it now showed an update available for iPhoto, which I'm now in the process of downloading.

User uploaded file

To my mind, it is somewhat counter-intuitive if the App Store doesn't reset its update alerts if for some reason the app is not signed in. Although I can find an option to sign out, I'm certain I've never done so myself.

And from what I now understand re v10.6.8, there is a delta edition (additional changes only) and a combo version (which is pretty comprehensive). That the combo edition could include functionality not available in the delta edition bemuses me somewhat (call it a bug if you like), but perhaps this information needs to be clarified. (i.e. using the term "delta" i/o "original" may help avoid confusion.)

Anyway, it seems I've got there in the end. Thank you all for your input.

Jul 14, 2011 10:30 AM in response to Dah•veed

Excellent answer, hombre! You know your way around! 🙂

Trashing an already installed App helped me in those cases already, and you don't even need to empty the trash…

In fact, I had to do this in case of my recent iPhoto update. And before that Aperture, and iStopMotion Home.

I hope the list will not grow… 😐

Just one slightly confusing thing about the version number of the recent 9.1.5 iPhoto Update:

• In the Finder, the App Bundle shows the version string iPhoto 9.1.3, Copyright © 2002-2011 Apple Inc.
  • In the App itself, it shows 9.1.5 (615), just like what you find inside the bundle: /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/version.plist

So, even after the successful Update, it (seemingly, from what to see in Finder) showed (in my case) the same version as the one that was installed before — odd, this has really confused me, and maybe the Mac App Store as well, don't you think so? 😁

Jul 14, 2011 10:50 AM in response to Perennial beginner

Wow, that was a tough one!

Glad you finally found out… 😁

But the way the Mac App Store acts in respect to user account looks half-baken to me: unlike the iTunes store, it does not show the main account info right in the window, so you do not at a glance realize you are not even logged in!

That is worth giving Apple a feedback on this page…

It is for general Mac OS X feedback, as there is no separate Mac App Store page. 😐

I know I will write them (already wrote a long text about iTunes and its failure to sync Apps properly), but the more the better!

App Store icon erroneously shows updates pending

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.