Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After updating to 3.1.3, Aperture won't start

Help! I just updated to Aperture 3.1.3, and now it won't start. "Couldn't open database". Even starting with option + command key doesn't help. Yesterday and with 3.1.2, everything was fine ...

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 14, 2011 11:39 AM

21 replies

Jul 15, 2011 7:38 AM in response to shuttersp33d

Yes, I did, the error happens immediately and you cannot repair the library 😟

I decided to give Aperture a try and let it stay at "Updating library: scanning library" screen. It has been doing it for 14 hours now...

I also checked and fixed my HDD (HDD errors cause iTunes to go crazy so I thought this may help). No luck.

I guess I will have to wait until Apple fixes that. Fortunately I have Aperture 3.1.2 TimeMachine backup, so I am going to restore it.

Edit: I LOVE TimeMachine. Restored 3.1.2 and things work as they used to 🙂

Jul 15, 2011 11:57 PM in response to MarkAtlanta

Exactly the same thing here.

Copied the library to a new folder ( Just in case).

Time-machine to revert to 3.1.2

Repaired permissions....did not take long

Repaired library....did not take long

Rebuilt library....did not take that long

ie performed the 3 options available when command-option opens the library.

Reinstalled 3.1.3.

I get the same error....

User uploaded file

Other than reverting back to 3.1.2, any other ideas?

Jul 16, 2011 12:00 AM in response to wolfifromstuttgart

I do have exactly the same problem. I then restored Aperture back to 3.1.2 and everything is working as before. I'm then also able to repair or set permissions etc. with Command-Option double click on Aperture. But as soon as I got to 3.1.3, the following message appears "There was an error opening the library ......" and it won't open it. Strange things happen here....

Jul 16, 2011 8:01 AM in response to pi22-7__

Contrary to my usual lie low and let the update/upgrade chaos settle, I migrated to SL 10.6.8 and from Aperture 3.0 to 3.1.3 this week. SL went smoothly and Aperture froze shortly into the upgrade phase, requiring a force quit. A permissions repair on the disk and Aperture enabled a smooth Aperture library upgrade this time, and the 200Gb library is now EXTREMELY fast.

Jul 16, 2011 3:39 PM in response to C5Z

Spoke extensively to Apple.

After trying just about every avenue, this did work.

Shift-option launch Aperture. Choose "Create New...". Open the new library and import the old library that will not open. It may take a **long** time. Once imported, update the library....this last step occurred with me when I quit Aperture. The explanation given to me was that 3.1.3 is really fussy about library databases, so that a database accepted prior to this may not be acceptable to 3.1.3. Anyhow, it solved it for me.

After updating to 3.1.3, Aperture won't start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.