Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera not working with Lion

Hi,

I have a late 2008 version of the MacBook Pro. I just installed Lion, my camera is not working. It says there is no camera connected. I used my camera a lot with snow leapord. I don't know what the issue is. Let me know if you can help?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), MacBook Pro 2008

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 10:57 AM

Give this a shot:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

30 replies

Sep 10, 2011 9:40 AM in response to Zacharytolson

I have the same problem with my camera not working on macbook pro 17" (early 2011) after installing Lion. Does not work in photobooth or in facetime or when I log in as another user. I still get "there is no camera connected". Many posts on this refer users to the "reset your SMC" solution. I have tried this and it does nothing to solve the issue. I also tried the "update your Flash player" idea and it did nothing. Has anyone else been able to get to the bottom of this?

Sep 13, 2011 7:20 PM in response to Hooligandave

Same thing here!!! I also called tech support and did a lot of other things including reinstalling lion OS. Still did not work. Not sure what to do next. May go to applestore.......... I love my camera on my laptop!!!! On a postitive note, the apple represntative was great in assisting me with the issue. I hae faith they will find the problem.

Sep 29, 2011 7:45 AM in response to Zacharytolson

After trying -what seemed like everything- on the software side of things, I went into the Apple store. The genius Bar person then ran through all of the same things without fixing it so he concluded it had to be hardware. We both agreed that since it was working before, hardware shouldn't be the problem but he was out of solutions. They replaced my entire screen module and camera. I don't know what else they reset in doing the hardware change but now the camera works again. I still find it hard to believe it was actually a hardware issue. Especially with all who are having the same issue. I'm guessing it had something more to do with some reset they did when the hardware was changed since my clock was off and my settings were different. By the way, this would have been a $310 charge but I was under warranty. whew!

Nov 10, 2011 1:47 PM in response to Zacharytolson

I have had this problem for the past two years - it started when I installed snow leopard - the camera worked fine in leopard - I cannot use any of the camrea functions - photo booth, face time or skype says no camera connected - have taken it to the apple store but they could not find the fault - i have just installed Lion and it worked initially but now the same problem has recoccured but at least I know its not the camera - this is a real nuisance and I wish apple would sort it out. Sorry this is no help but at least I know I'm not alone with this annoying fault.

Camera not working with Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.