Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TextEdit keep changing the extension to TXT

This is very annoying. I open an HTML for edition.

As far as I start edititing the file TextEdit changes the file extension to TXT and I have this option disabled on TextEdit's preferences.

How do I stop this annoying "functionality" of TextEdit ?

Thanks

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 12:05 PM

17 replies

Jul 21, 2011 3:24 PM in response to LunarBase

yeah I have been using Dashcode in the meantime, but I like using TextEdit for quick html edits. it leaves css files alone, but it's freakin irritating when I save or close the window and it automatically changes the file type...that's just wrong, and a serious bug. I have another thread going about it and some people are having a hard time believing that this is happening:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3195606?answerId=15684922022#15684922022

Jul 28, 2011 3:55 PM in response to Mike James3

Mike James3 wrote:

I've been using Textedit exclusively for writing my web sites, for several years. This new behavior is indeed frustrating, and I hope they fix it right away. (You can manually change the extension to HTML after quitiing Textedit, but that's obviously not a good way to work.)

My guess is that the fix will be slow in coming. Meanwhile I've resorted to using TextWrangler and as a workaround to having to manually change the extensions after editing in TextEdit. I find it's a much better choice. I will still go back to TextEdit if and when they fix it. I did report it as a bug.

Jul 30, 2011 1:14 PM in response to Al Gunther

With the help of an Apple Tech Support rep, I downloaded their "Data Capture" app, ran it, and returned the file to Apple, including a screen-capture movie of the above-mentioned behavior. Several days later, I heard back from the rep, saying the the Apple engineers had indeed been able to replicate the behaviour. So, they know for sure that the problem exists for some users, and we can expect a fix at some point.

Jul 30, 2011 2:26 PM in response to Mike James3

Mike James3 wrote:

With the help of an Apple Tech Support rep, I downloaded their "Data Capture" app, ran it, and returned the file to Apple, including a screen-capture movie of the above-mentioned behavior. Several days later, I heard back from the rep, saying the the Apple engineers had indeed been able to replicate the behaviour. So, they know for sure that the problem exists for some users, and we can expect a fix at some point.

Good report Mike James3 !

TextEdit keep changing the extension to TXT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.