Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set Web Inspector to open attached to current window (Safari 5.1)

Okay, this is going to drive me nuts:

I just upgraded to Safari 5.1 on Snow Leopard, and now whenever I open the web inspector (Developer feature), it opens in a separate window. It used to default to opening within the current window, which is what I prefer. Now I have to hunt down the 'Dock to main window' button everytime I want to inspect a page's code!

Any help would be much appreciated; I'm curious if this occurs for others or if this is a conflict with one of my plugins. I've already looked through the Safari preference file (com.apple.Safari.plist) and found 'WebKit Web Inspector Setting - inspectorStartsAttached' set to true, but that doesn't seem to be working.

Safari-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Safari 5.1

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 3:52 PM

64 replies

Jul 22, 2011 6:25 AM in response to elstgav

I've already looked through the Safari preference file ( com.apple.Safari.plist) and found ' WebKit Web Inspector Setting - inspectorStartsAttached' set to true, but that doesn't seem to be working.

Seems if you delete the preference. And let safari recreate it, the setting for inspectorStartsAttached is not created any more. Tried making it a boolean din't work either 😟

Set Web Inspector to open attached to current window (Safari 5.1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.