Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion and Parallels

I have Parallels 5 on one iMac and Parallels 4 on another.

I will download Lion shortly.

Will my existing Parallels work with Lion?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 4:29 PM

33 replies

Jul 20, 2011 4:42 PM in response to sirgunther

3. Yes, you can download to 5 machines as long as their on the same AppleID.

4. Upgrade Parallels on each machine first then upgrade to Lion. IMHO that would be the wisest way to go.

Of course with each machine test Parallels on each machine after upgrading to ensure it went smoothly. Then when ready to upgrade to Lion backup prior to the upgrade. I'd also recommend unplugging all peripherals too except the keyboard and mouse when upgrading.

Jul 20, 2011 4:56 PM in response to sirgunther

Your welcome and it's your call on when to upgrade to Lion. I was one of the Beta testers and have been using it since February or so and have seen it go through many revisions. This version is very stable however all software has bugs, if you want to wait thats up to you however I don't think you will have any problems if you upgraded today.

Jul 20, 2011 4:57 PM in response to sirgunther

2. Nothing new will happen in a week. Kinks will be or have been found and reported to Apple. If they get fixed it won't be until Apple releases a 10.7.1 update.

If you don't need to upgrade then don't bother. If you're just curious then clone your system to an external hard drive, boot from the clone and install Lion only on the clone. If all is well then you can install Lion on the main system drive or you can skip it.

Jul 22, 2011 8:21 AM in response to sirgunther

Actually Parallels Desktop 5 works fine on Lion. Try googling "Parallels 5 Lion Launcher", there are several places you can get it from. Download the launcher and use it once to start Parallels 5, from then on it works perfectly fine (without the launcher), like you had it under Snow Leopard.

I believe it must be just a bug from the Parallels Team that version 5 doesn't work yet on Lion without this launcher, as it makes absolutely no sense it wouldn't. Probably there will be an official patch in the next days, but I guess support for version 5 users is slower than for version 6 users.

Lion and Parallels

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.