Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion WiFi Connection Problem

Since installing Lion on both my IMac and MacBook Pro, the WiFi cycles (wifi icon on the menu bar) - looking for network - network on - looking for network. iMac with OS 10.6 doesn't have this problem so it's not the AirPort and there was no problem prior to installing Lion. The AirPort Utility log shows lots of connection activity but I don't know if that means anything. The network troubleshooter says theres no problem but it's causing big problems with connection speed and applications that need a constant connection are giving me network errors constantly. Please give me some advise....

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 5:19 PM

2,673 replies

Jul 21, 2011 5:39 AM in response to lrogersinlv

Yeah, this has to be a bug. I installed Lion on my Mac Mini yesterday. Prior to the upgrade, I had zero connection issues. Since I upgraded to Lion, my WiFi connection has been up and down constantly. I hope Apple addresses this soon. I know the Wifi is fine, because my iPhone, iPad, and other computers can still get to the internet without issue. Just the Lion computer. No bueno!

Jul 21, 2011 8:19 AM in response to lrogersinlv

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing the same problem I am having. I am glad to know though that it is not only me as I originally thought it was my Wifi hardware but as some others have stated, my Dlink Wifi works with everything else at home.

I did try to reach Apple Support and I'm scheduled to speak with them on Friday evening and will post anything I can to help. If you any of you find a resolution before hand, please post and let us all know. Thanks in advance!

Jul 21, 2011 8:43 AM in response to kit-ster

So far the Apple store dudes, have done the following.

• Confirmed that my hardware is there, but wi-fi will not turn on.
  • after confirming I had a backup they did the "Trick" which was to wipe all setting folders. Still the same problem.
  • We went back to a full install fo Lion, but after I loaded my Adobe products and rebooted, the w-fi went away.
  • I think it was the install of Java Runtime that caused it (just speculation on my part) but i see all sorts of chatter on the Adobe site about only manually installing the runtime do not install using apples updater. I tried that and still no luck

Jul 21, 2011 11:30 AM in response to lrogersinlv

I installed Lion last night and everything appeared to be working fine.

This morning WiFi icon at the top of the screen had an exclamation point through it indicating a problem with connecting to the Internet. I checked all the airports in the house and everything is up and running. I even tried to connect via my iPhone Personal Hotspot (via tethering) and that didn't work either. I can see other computers on the network and can connect to an attached drive on my Airport Extreme so I knew the WiFi hardware was working ok. At this point I checked this discussion via my iPhone and still no solution. So, I went back to basics and checked the settings on my Network. The only thing that might be a problem was my setting for DHCP with manual address - maybe that's a problem. Sure enough when I selected plain ol DHCP the Internet came alive.

Now, this wasn't a problem with Snow Leopard so there's got to be some change in Lion that Apple needs to take a look at and fix.

Hope this helps you all.

Good luck

Steve

Jul 21, 2011 2:06 PM in response to SteveSunnyvale

SunnyVale Steve...you ***MAY*** have just found the solution to my YEAR LONG headache. If I lived anywhere near you I would kiss you and buy you a case of beer you sweet, sweet man.

I'm running Snow Leopard and have been having this issue since I pulled my iMac out of the box. Every other wireless device in the house works fine except for this. I've reset the modem countless times, trashed preferences, set up dummy networks, talked with a "genius", wiped the HD and reinstalled the OS and even had the Airport card replaced. Not one single thing worked. Until now....so far. At 15 minutes this is the longest I've held a connection in over a month.

So, I'm not saying it's fixed yet, but it is by far the most promising I've seen. Thank you. THANK YOU!!!! A thousand times thank you!!!

Jul 21, 2011 3:13 PM in response to lrogersinlv

Just got off the phone Applecare about a WiFi issue after upgrading to Lion. If I leave my house I loose WiFi connection and it won’t turn on after clicking the on button. If I pull the battery and restart my WiFI is back on. As long as I stay at that location WiFi works. When I shutdown and move to another location with a different router Wifi is gone. Now I have to go to the Apple store for repair which they stated to me it sounds like hardware. HELLO it started yesterday after the Lion upgrade and never before.

Jul 21, 2011 3:22 PM in response to lrogersinlv

Add me to the list of folks who saw internet via WiFi disappear after installing Lion. I know it's a Lion issue, not an Airport issue, because WiFi internet works on everything else (i.e., iPod Touch, xBox, etc.). I hope Apple gets this fixed soon. (Actually, I'm kinda shocked this wasn't discovered in beta testing.)

Jul 21, 2011 3:24 PM in response to paul246

Hi paul246,

Glad this helped you too. What's really strange is that this DHCP with manual address features isn't even supposed to be supported by Airport routers!! According to this article http://support.apple.com/kb/TA21403?viewlocale=en_US we're not supposed to use it. Now, it did work before I installed Lion so perhaps Lion now does some better checking and disables WiFi when you try to use this option - but it needs to issue a warning or something. Very obscure 'feature'.

Good luck to everyone else - hope you all get this issue fixed - no Internet is no fun!!

Steve

Lion WiFi Connection Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.