Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I access files with an iPad on a Lion Server?

One of the reasons I upgraded fron Snow Leopard server to Lion server is to access files from an iPad and iPhone. I see in the File Sharing sharepoint configuration box the iOS checkbox, but how do I get to the files from the iPad?

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 8:00 PM

6 replies

Jul 21, 2011 3:04 PM in response to FTZMan

Yes but the Lion Server promo material touts file sharing as a feature of Lion Server....

Are you talking about Airdrop? Airdrop works over Wi-Fi only and doesn't work on older Macs. (I'm told it's specific to the newer Wi-Fi chips having support for on-demand Ad Hoc.) AFAIK, there is no "conventional" file sharing for iPad-to-Lion built-in. You'll have to find an app for the iPad or use the already mentioned protocols.

Jul 21, 2011 6:13 PM in response to William Bowden1

Thank you for shaking my brain! I kept looking for a file structure to show up, such as Fidner. Your answer got me thinking correctly. Instead of looking for a "Finder", I opened Pages on my iPad and touched "+" then "copy from webdav". From there I got a login screen and typed https://servername.com/webdav plus my credentials and it got me right to the files on the server! I can now access files on my server from my iPad and can save the changes back! It works both on the local network and remotely! Thanks again!

Message was edited by: FTZMan

Jul 21, 2011 6:08 PM in response to William Bowden1

Thank you for shaking my brain! I kept looking for a file structure to show up, such as Fidner. Your answer got me thinking correctly. https://servername.com/webdav got me right to the files on the server! I can now access files on my server from my iPad and can save the changes back! It works both on the local network and remotely! Thanks again!

How do I access files with an iPad on a Lion Server?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.