Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect via Server app

Decided to install the Lion Server on this iMac 27" quad-core i7 with 8GB RAM. Downloaded it from the MAS, Read the Getting Started documentation, then opened the Server app. Selected "this mac" and entered my admin name and password. Server app refused them.

Is there a special admin name and password that I should be using? Where would I find them?

Or is there some other issue that is preventing me from connecting? I can't find anything in the documentation.

Thanks!

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 3:15 AM

20 replies

Jul 22, 2011 5:07 AM in response to Steve Porritt

I have the same problem. I installed Lion on our Mac Pro system to run as as server and all was great up until this morning where it suddenly decided to not let me enter the Server App with any Administrator credentials.

i thought this may have been a keychain access error, so got the reset but still have same problem.

have two admins accounts set up on the directory but they wont allow either in. Just looks like it cannot connect...... to itself!!??

Soooo Frustrating!!

Jul 22, 2011 5:27 AM in response to dannewman93

Yep, I searched the keychain for possible passwords but found nothing server-related that worked. Tried repairing keychain, permissions, and even tried from another computer. Nothing worked. Apparently the server is running but cannot be accessed. And the documentation provides no clues whatsoever, merely assumes that each step is successful and moves on to the next. If Apple expects non-IT consumers to be running this, they need to provide more complete consumer-level documentation.

And yep, soooooo frustrating!

Jul 22, 2011 7:14 AM in response to Steve Porritt

Same here. I upgraded to lion server on day one and all was well. Logged in and out via server admin from the server itself and another machine with no problem. naturally I downloaded the new server admin app as well.

On day two I tried to login in and got a could not connect condition from the non-server machine when I tried to connect to it. So I logged into the server directly with to OS admin account and launched Server from there. At this point you are prompted to connect to "this" server or another. I chose the server I was on and got the password shudder trying to get into server admin.

No possibility of forgetting the password, it's the same one I use to log into the OS.

Could not get into it with the other admin account I had setup either.

Something is very wrong here.

Jul 22, 2011 11:28 AM in response to Steve Porritt

In the same boat. I'm glad I'm not crazy. It's as if the Server forgot my credential, which seems a bit backward.

Particulars are that this is a brand new Mac Mini Core i7 virgin system, no crazy configurations. One moment I'm happily exploring the new interface, log out, then 15 minutes later, won't except my credentials.

Severely frustrated.

Really looking forward to hearing the solution.

-Patrick

Jul 23, 2011 2:52 AM in response to Dill Waters

I had exatly the same problem which is solved by your hint. Thank you very much! There is one thing which had changed compared to the initial Servermgrd start. Now I see the system wide users and groups before I only saw the users and groups I configured. Do you know a possibility to change the default view? But this is only a minor 'issue'.

Cannot connect via Server app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.