Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DigitalColor Meter with hex codes?

I'm just wondering if anyone has found a way to get hex codes back in DigitalColor Meter or knows of a suitable replacement for the 10.7 version that removed hex codes?

I use DCM almost daily for hex codes and am completely baffeled as to why this was removed from the 10.7 version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 4:07 AM

64 replies

Jul 22, 2011 2:19 AM in response to cmllr

Hi! I'm in the same situation! I found on Twitter and Facebook a great community of users for the DigitalColor Meter application! Who works with webdesign and similar needs HEX COLOR RECOGNITION!!!

Why Apple cutted this out of DigitalColor Meter???

If you have a solution, please write here something!

Thanks a lot!

Jul 22, 2011 7:32 AM in response to iRiki®

I found an odd workaround that might help you as well...

I downloaded Hex Color Picker and installed in 'User' > 'Library' > 'ColorPickers'

And then open Mail and ctrl+click on the toolbar and select 'customize toolbar' and add 'colors' to it. When you click on the Hex Color Picker icon on the color palette you can click on the magnifying glass it turns into a moveable magnifying glass that you pick the color you want to get the code for and click.

Not as easy as DCM but it works, I have Mail open all the time so it is convenient for me.

Hope this helps.

Jul 27, 2011 11:46 AM in response to cmllr

Wow! I just discovered that my DigitalColor Meter had changed. It is now, for all practical purposes, useless. I'm not why Apple would make the decision to cut out the useful part of the app. On my MBP, the colors do not even show up properly with rolling the mouse over the desired color. I rolled over a "brown" and the Picker showed a "green."

I would encourage Apple to restore DigitalColor Meter with its full functionality. Here's why:

(1) Mac has always been the pioneer in computers that handled graphics and video properly. As such, graphic designers and web builders have made a conscious choice to use Mac. The app was a basic requirement for such work.

(2) To gut such a basic and functional design tool lends credence to those who accuse Apple of trying to move Mac to an IOS style of operation.

(3) Apple should not forget that the Mac is what "brought them to the dance." Yes, there is room for the IOS devices, but they serve another use. The Mac, at its heart, is a work tool. It is not an entertainment and Internet device. Yes, it does those things well, but it is a tool. No one who simply desires entertainment of Internet would spend the money to purchase a MBP, but would invest in a well-equipped iPad.

Therefore, Apple should not forget the basic reason they developed a market. Yes, the IOS has increased the market share of Apple by leaps and bounds. Yet, the Mac should remain as a part of the core foundation. Continue to develop the hardward and apps that increase the ability of the graphic designer, web builder, and video producer.

Jul 28, 2011 4:14 PM in response to cmllr

Apple, you really screwed this one up. I, too, relied on DCM to grab hex codes from anywhere on the desktop. Your new version is now useless. I guess Lion was cheaper this time and to get the stuff we used to have we will have to get it .99 cents at a time. FYI, people depend on the great tools you provide. Don't snatch them away when we get used to using them.

That was all just in case they read these things.

Aug 3, 2011 1:05 PM in response to cmllr

+1 for me and everyone I work with. Designers AND developers hate this change. This tool is now useless to anyone who works on the web. Who does this actually benefit? If you want to charge a buck for a color tool that actually works, please remove this useless version from the OS. I "switched" to OSX about 7 years ago because it HAD useful features like this.

Thanks,

Disenfranchised power user

DigitalColor Meter with hex codes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.