Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon Camcorder no longer recognised after update to Lion

My Canon Vixa HF20 is no longer recognised after I upgraded to Lion. When I plug in the USB cable and try to connect a pop window says "no camera found". I tried reinstalling the Camcorder software but this has not helped. Don't know what to do next...

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 4:18 AM

33 replies

Jul 23, 2011 10:38 PM in response to bsfskhfas-hs__

I have a similar problem with a Panasonic HDC-HS900. I usually connect it via USB and it appears as a drive in Finder.

After upgrading to Lion, this is no longer the case. If I use System Report in About This Mac, it shows Panasonic Camcorder under USB Highspeed Bus.

It does not show up in Disk Utility though.

I have seen another thread where someone's USB drives wern't showing up. They reset the P-RAM. I have tried, twice, but still no luck.

I have a mid-2007 Aluminium 24" iMac.

Aug 9, 2011 8:50 AM in response to bsfskhfas-hs__

hi, im having the same problem too. Just got a my panasonic hs900 yesterday, quite annoyed that i cant just plug and play. I contacted apple support just now and they are saying to get in touch with panasonic to see when they will be releasing a update of drivers, ive got a feeling knowing panasonics customer care we are going to be waiting a while, just phoned them up for the last 30 mins and every time it kept saying they couldnt take your calls right now please try again later... My camera is crashing too when ever I plug the wire in it gives me the option for pc or record but after that nothing. The thing I dont understand is that sometimes when i plug it in (after countless tries) it does detect the hard drive and the sd card, but every other time it only detects the sd card. Really not sure what to do...

Aug 9, 2011 9:09 AM in response to shiv90

Not clear this is a Panasonic issue... Other are reporting external drives are not mounting in Lion if formatted FAT32. I think we'll have to wait for Apple to update *their* software. Camera works fine with 10.6. Or you can bring up Windows via Parallels or BootCamp and transfer the data there.

I get the same crash - have to remove the battery to clear. Yes, Panasonic perhaps could update their drivers but how would we get them into the camcorder? Send it back? Right.

For now, find a workaround and keep pressuring Apple to recognize FAT32 external drives.

Aug 9, 2011 9:18 AM in response to OneClickForward

yeah i thought it was a lion issue, but the apple support somehow convinced me at the time that it was panasonic related and decided to leave it at that (after spending a good 20 mins on hold for a reply). I dont think we would have to send our cameras back to be honest there no reason why panasonic could develp a patch that could be applied through the usb cable they provided. yeah i guess bootcamp would be a good idea now ... cheers for the reply... will keep posted if i hear anything back from panasonic.

Aug 9, 2011 9:33 AM in response to bsfskhfas-hs__

Try this for Canon

These Canon videos can’t be played on Mac because these camcorder video codec is different from video codec of Mac series software. An ideal solution is to convert them to .mp4 or .mov on Mac OS X, which is compatible with Mac .If you would like to manage them easily on your Mac OS X (Snow Leopard, Lion included), Canon VIXIA Video Converter for Mac will help you a lot, which will resolve the key problem of format capability of Mac.

User uploaded file

Aug 9, 2011 9:38 AM in response to bsfskhfas-hs__

This is a statement from the Canon website:

"Canon is confirming compatibility of its Digital Compact camera, Digital SLR camera, Digital Video camera and Selphy products with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)."

Taken from this text:

New Operating Systems compatibility information for Canon products

User uploaded file

MacOS X 10.7 (Lion)

User uploaded file

MacOS X 10.7 (Lion)

Mac OS X 10.7 compatibility:

Important Notice:

Inkjet printer, multifunctional and scanner products:Canon will support its inkjet printer, multifunctional and scanner products with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion). To find a list of applicable models choose the applicable product group:
Laser printer, multifunctional, fax and personal copier products:Canon will support its laser printer, multifunctional, fax and personal copier products with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion).To find a list of applicable models choose the applicable product group:

Digital Compact camera, Digital SLR camera, Digital Video camera, SELPHY products:
Canon is confirming compatibility of its Digital Compact camera, Digital SLR camera, Digital Video camera and Selphy products with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion).

Canon Camcorder no longer recognised after update to Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.