Previous 1 2 3 Next 100 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2012 1:21 PM by MicheleH
Joe Win Level 1 Level 1

I hve a late 2009 iMac at home that I've upgraded to Lion. So far, there are only 2 issues that I'm having:

1 - When I wake the iMac from a long sleep, it doens't automatically log into my wifi network. I have to drag the mouse up to the menu bar, click on the signal icon and choose my wifi network. A few tiems yesterday, the computer stopped recognizing the network while I was in the middle of surfing. Haven't had that in a while, but the inability to log in directly after waking up remains.

2 - I use Firefox to surf. I can no longer move backwards and forwards between pages by swiping left or right. It works in Safari, but not in Firefox. Is that a new functionality that has to be rebuilt into Firefox because of Lion?

iMac late 2009, Mac OS X (10.6.5)
  • bayofromcharlotte Level 1 Level 1

I don't know about the wifi issues, I haven't had that issue.  But as far as swiping to move back/forward in firefox, you'll have to change the two finger swipe to three finger swipe, then it works like it used to, just not with the fancy 'page slide' in safari

• Joe Win Level 1 Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I went into Sys Prefs, but I don't see where I can do that on an Apple wireless mouse. Only allows up to 2-finger swipes, but then I lose the functionality of using swipes between Spaces. Well, I use the back and forth more than Spaces switches, so....

• philcroft Level 1 Level 1

Hi,

I don't use Firefox but DO have exactly the same problem as you with regard to Wi-Fi.

More worryingly TimeMachine has now stopped backing up because Apple have changed some security setting to do with something called AFP (a protocol of some type) This means that one is no longer able to connect to the network attached backup server. The following message appears when Timemachine tries to connect...."The network backup disk does not support the required AFP features." My particular server is an Iomega but I gather that this is common to many storage devices. Appearently it's up to the NAS provider to provide a patch...

Meanwhile no back up...very risky

• srki boy Level 1 Level 1

HI Joe

I`ve got the same problem with swiping the pages in firefox ( & iphoto ) It looks like we have to wait for a coming update !

Well, I discovered a part-way solution. If you go to Sys Pref and click on the "use 2 fingers" option for swipe between pages, it'll work on Firefox and iPhoto (hadn't opened iPhoto when I 1st posted, so don't know if that wouldn't've worked as well). At least for me. However, you lose the ability to swipe between open applications. I'm used to using keyboard commands for that, so I'm giving up swiping between applications in order to get back swiping pages in Firefox.

Philcroft, I haven't had a problem with Time Machine so far, but then I use a hard wired connection to the backup drives via firewire.

• Caleb was here Level 1 Level 1

I have a similar wifi problem after installing Lion. When my computer goes to sleep or I turn my wifi off, it won't reconnect to my wireless network. I have to manually select it and then retype my wep password. It tries to connect and then says "connection timeout" and the login failed, however, even though it says that it was unable to connect, it actually does connect and I get regular connectivity. Frustrating.

I have a 15" core i7 2010  MBP.

Well, during the past day, I've put the iMac to sleep numerous times for varying lengths of time, and each time it's connected automatically. Perhaps they just needed to spend a little more time to get to know one another better? We'll see what happens over the next couple of days.

• lorandreas Level 1 Level 1

Good for you, my WIFI still shuts off after sleep :/

• Revo B Level 1 Level 1

Having the exact same issue with the WIFI.

• bayofromcharlotte Level 1 Level 1

Caleb was here wrote:

I have a similar wifi problem after installing Lion. When my computer goes to sleep or I turn my wifi off, it won't reconnect to my wireless network. I have to manually select it and then retype my wep password. It tries to connect and then says "connection timeout" and the login failed, however, even though it says that it was unable to connect, it actually does connect and I get regular connectivity. Frustrating.

I have a 15" core i7 2010  MBP.

@Caleb was here.  I had the same issue before I switched to Lion, turned  out it was some issue with my router.  I bought another router and I  haven't had the issue since.  Try changing from WEP to WPA (you should  do this anyway) and see if you have the same issues still.

Waking from sleep after the overnight saw the same issue with wifi: did not recognize the usual network and I had to manually choose it from among the list of those the computer sees. I live in an apartment building in NYC, so have a fair number of choices.

Thanks for the suggestion of switching password protection schemes, but I'm already using WPA, so that's not the issue. I did, however, go through Airport Utility again, just in case.

• Revo B Level 1 Level 1

Im using WPA, I have two WIFI hotspots. If apple thinks that I need to buy a new WIFI AP to resolve this issue them I'm downgrading. Both of my AP is 6 and 4 months old...

• EddieInD Level 1 Level 1

Just adding myself to the list of people that lose wifi after the computer sleeps.  I have to either reboot or turn wifi off and on to get it to reconnect.  Never had an issue with Snow Leopard.  Using Airport Extreme.

• orgtech Level 1 Level 1

I have the same WiFi issue after sleeping. Using Airport Extreme. Turn airport off but can't turn it back on for a while looks like its an issue with trying to connect to disk times out.

Previous 1 2 3 Next