Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail removed bounce functionality?

I upgraded to Lion, and I cannot find the "bounce" functionality in Apple's Main application. I regularly use this to reduce future occurences of SPAM. Is it possible it has removed from the application?

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 6:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 6:16 AM

Yes the bounce is gone...

68 replies

Jul 21, 2011 10:02 PM in response to vershunX8

Hi,

Until Apple relents and restores the functionality (like they will actually listen to us - HA!), you can download and use the free AppleScript, "Bounce Mail 1.0"

( << http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Internet-Utilities/Bounce-Mail.shtml>>)

Just add a rule iin Mail > Preferences > Rules that tells Mail: If Junk Mail then call/apply Applescript > Bounce Mail 10.

Mark any email Junk, control click on it and Apply Rule.

That make sense?

I have already tried it and works perfectly.

Jul 22, 2011 10:35 AM in response to jasonfromcorvallis

Please send feedback to Apple is you want this feature back. I never even knew it existed. I would be curious to see if it really worked or if spammers had figured out it wasn't a real bounce. I inspected headers form my 10.6.8 machine and I could tell it wasn't a real bounce, but only because I know the servers involved. I would be interested to learn about any discussions of the "sneakiness" and efficacy of the now-departed Bounce feature.

Jul 23, 2011 2:59 PM in response to etresoft

For me, BOUNCE is for those annoying people who get their friends or relatives email address wrong and keep sending me their emails intended for family members or friends. For the last 5 years I have politely asked that my email address be removed from soccer mom's address books because I keep getting their practise schedules. When I could BOUNCE the email, they would get the hint and double check the email address.

There is always a moral dillema when faced with job interview appointment emails, or emails asking if I can assist coaching for Wednesday... Bouncing the email would let the sender know that the email didn't get through. Without BOUNCE, my options are to either sit down and compose polite emails asking them to get the address right, OR get nasty and just cancel job interviews, and generally mess with their lives... I need BOUNCE back.

Jul 23, 2011 3:03 PM in response to vershunX8

Please, never bounce spam. Most spam has forged 'From' addresses so all you are doing is sending yet more spam to totally innocent people (who are porbably already getting a lot of bounces because of this) and making a bad situation worse. Even if the 'From' address is genuine, I very much doubt any spammer is going to remove your address from a huge list (they certainly would get a lot of bounced from actually dead addresses) - and in any case they can probably tell it's not a genuine bounce easily enough, so now you've just confirmed that your address works. Don't bounce it - just delete and forget.

Jul 23, 2011 6:57 PM in response to Ernie Stamper

I think you misread that.

a)

"The Bounce feature may not work with some email service providers, and may actually indicate to the originator that your email address is valid."

it's talking about real spam - not mistaken emails. Yes, spammers might be able to tell it's a fake bounce thus validating your email,

and b)

"Use Mail's built-in Junk filtering, which can both be set automatically, or be set to learn as you receive mail messages. For more information, see Mac 101: Mail.

If you use MobileMe, you can use an email alias. This feature can allow you to purchase items online with an additional email address that protects you from receiving unsolicited mail messages. See MobileMe: About email aliases."

Neither of these discuss people who email you thinking you are someone else. If polite emails don't work, and I don't want to be rude, I still want to bounce the messages. To most people a bounced message is a sure sign they typed the email address incorrectly.

Email aliases are especially dumb because to do the job as advertised you would have to create an alias, use it, and destroy it when its purpose is accomplished. When you free up an alias, it must be free for anyone else to use (or else Apple would quickly run out of aliases). SO - you could possibly get other people's email in the future. Or they yours. And talk about hassle... I'd rather just deal with the junk mail with a filter.

Apple Mail removed bounce functionality?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.