Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to add missing apps to Launchpad? Most of the apps in my Finder do not appear in Launchpad.

I've loaded Lion onto two computers: an iMac and a Mac Powerbook. On the iMac, all the apps in the Finder folder appeard in Launchpad, but on the Powerbook, two-thirds of the apps in Finder do not appear in Launchpad. Why? And how do I get them into Launchpad?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.2), imac 20"

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2017 12:16 PM

I had the same problem in OSX Sierra and bellow is the command line survive me.

defaults write com.apple.dock ResetLaunchPad -bool true; killall Dock

http://osxdaily.com/2015/05/05/reset-launchpad-layout-mac-os-x/

Hope to be helpful.

66 replies

May 11, 2017 7:55 PM in response to Escuincle

I tried moving the apps missing from the Launchpad Utilities Folder to the Applications Folder but when I tried to move them back I was told I was not allowed due to the apps being part of the OS.

Am I screwed?

I found the missing apps in Launchpad and moved them back, but the ones I moved from the real Utilities Folder to the real Applications Folder are still stuck there.

Jul 22, 2011 6:12 AM in response to Donusko

Hi guys,

I am using MacBook Pro and I have a similar problem: the first time I launched the LaunchPad I found two folders called with the same name "Utilities" and there were a second screen with 4-5 apps. The problem is that not ALL the applications present in my application folder are listed in the LaunchPad, why ? How can I add manually an app into the LaunchPad ?

Jul 22, 2011 9:07 AM in response to Mino77

Mino, the first time I opened my launchpad all the app screens were pretty messed up... so I forced launchpad to rebuild its database. Therefore I opened the Terminal app (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal) and typed in the following commands:

1. cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/Dock
  2. rm *.db
  3. killall Dock

After that Launchpad needs some seconds to rebuild its database.

Jul 22, 2011 9:23 AM in response to Escuincle

Thanks,

I followed your indications and the Launchpad has been "restarted". I still have the problem 😟

Several applications are not present, e.g:

Adium, DoubleTwist, Chicken of the VNC, CyberDuck, DropBox, Telephone, ecc...

In the first screen of launchpad I have:

- The first folder "Utilities" on the left that seems to be full (4 x 8 apps)

- the second folder "Utilities" is not full (3 x 8 + 1 apps)

In second screen of launchpad I have 5 apps (starting from uTorrent, VLC, VMWare, Wireshark, X-lite), it seems that the last 5 apps in alphabetical order have been included here....

How to add missing apps to Launchpad? Most of the apps in my Finder do not appear in Launchpad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.