Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get autosave to work in Lion 10.7?

I have my files on my idisk and when I try to close the new updated file, I get a message that the document is on a volume that does not support permanent version storage...

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 12:24 PM

13 replies

Jul 25, 2011 12:54 PM in response to xprsnism

Please: has anyone in this topic tested with AFP service provided by Lion Server?

Suggesting incompatibility with networked environments may be a little premature 😉

For additional information, please:

• see my post and others in a recent topic, Where exactly are old versions of files stored on the harddisk?
  • expect Apple to publish relevant details, maybe aimed at developers, in due course.

Jul 25, 2011 1:21 PM in response to coocooforcocoapuffs

Moving — good catch. The simplest thiings are often overlooked.

Without moving, a few minutes ago I tested 11A511 with AFP service provided by Mac OS X Server 10.6.8. First impressions are that it's problem free:

• used Finder to copy a .png screenshot from my local desktop to somewhere on the remote volume
  • opened the copy in Preview, edited, command-q quit from Preview
  • disconnected from the server, reconnected
  • reopened the file
  • browsed versions — versions present.

Please, do you have a link to any of the other topics?

Thanks

Jul 25, 2011 1:29 PM in response to Graham Perrin

Graham Perrin wrote:

Without moving, a few minutes ago I tested 11A511 with AFP service provided by Mac OS X Server 10.6.8. First impressions are that it's problem free:

• used Finder to copy a .png screenshot from my local desktop to somewhere on the remote volume
  • reopened the file

That will work if the remote volume supports it. And the Versions info is on that volume, in a /.DocumentRevisions-V100 folder, not your OSX drive. If you move it elsewhere, all you'll get is the current version.

Jul 25, 2011 3:34 PM in response to Pondini

Pondini wrote:

… the Versions info is on that volume, in a /.DocumentRevisions-V100 folder, not your OSX drive. …

In my most recent test with the same AFP server, the versions for a remote .png screenshot:

reunion:~ centrimadmin$ ls -ld  /.DocumentRevisions-V100
ls: /.DocumentRevisions-V100: No such file or directory

Locally there might be some related data at

/.DocumentRevisions-V100

but in this case, the versions of the remote file are local, and not limited to the root user. See for example screenshot 001 at http://www.wuala.com/grahamperrin/public/2011/07/25/e/?mode=gallery demonstrating the local versions of the remote file, opened after disconnecting from the file server.

Readers, whilst there are unknowns please do not tinker unnecessarily with the contents of your ~/Library

In most topics Apple Support Communities is failing horribly for me so I can't promise to post all relevant details in the Apple area. If you like, follow my microblog 🙂

I await additional publications from Apple.

Jul 25, 2011 3:35 PM in response to Graham Perrin

That's not what I'm seeing; if I edit a file on another volume, a /.DocumentRevisions-V100 folder is created on it.

Why would that happen if that's not where the "pieces" are saved?

If I edit a file on a remote volume that doesn't support Versions, I get various error messages, either when trying to make a new version, or when trying to close the document.

Aug 4, 2011 10:35 AM in response to Graham Perrin

Graham Perrin wrote:

• reopened the file

Please, do you have a link to any of the other topics?

Thanks

So it works if you quit the program. It does not work for me when I close the file window.

This makes me wonder whether the Restore feature in Lion is tied in with versions. i.e. Your workflow is not accessing the versions stored for the file, but simply the restore point for the application at the time of quit, which may happen to include the versions.

How do I get autosave to work in Lion 10.7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.