Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"File could not open because you do not have permission to view it."

Hey everyone,

I have a PDF document that is linked to another and so on (it's a school textbook)

I can open the document, but when I click on the hyperlink, which usually opens another window for a seperate PDF, it's says "The file could not open because you do not have permission to view it." and then instructs me "To view or change permissions, select the item in the Finder and choose File > Get Info."

I did this and all the permissions are Read and Write and the other option is Read Only.

Any ideas?

Thanks, M

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 11:18 PM

36 replies

Jul 28, 2011 12:26 PM in response to Moomintroll

I am having the same problem with all of my pages and numbers documents! It gives me the "To view or change permissions, select the item in the Finder and choose File > Get Info." Dialog, no matter what I change the permissions to, it won't let me save the document anywhere. This is seriously screwing up my work day. I just got an Airbook running Lion, I suspect it has soemthing to do with that "fetching" permissions problem? Somebody help please!

Oct 15, 2011 10:26 PM in response to iSagger

I'm having exactly the same problem. My computer is useless for anything except web browsing. I can't save files anywhere, despite the fact that all my permissions are fine. I've run Disk Utilities permissions fixer.

Note that I can write to files from terminal, just not through any app.

Bizarre.

Oct 15, 2011 11:09 PM in response to iSagger

iSagger wrote:

I cannot believe this hasn't been answered yet.

Like everybody here, I am a user and don't profess to be an expert. If you are in a hurry, contact Apple.

Have you tried setting permissions for enclosed items in the document folder, in Finder>Get Info. (You need to click on the tiny padlock to make changes).

User uploaded file

Oct 15, 2012 3:53 PM in response to Moomintroll

Two things... why can't Apple answer these questions rather than any number of people who don't really know giving their SUGGESTION about what might solve the problem (caused by Apple)!? It seems better to me if people who actually know the answer or are responsible for the faulty code should reply.

As for the problem of Permissions: I was looking at some photos via Preview, then suddenly it I couldn't open photos I looked at one minute before. This is an Apple softwate problem. Going into FIle > Get Info didn't help because the permissions were already correct. Then I came here to see suggestions. They didn't work. So I switched off then on again... that worked!

Lots of stupid problems since I bought this MacBook Pro a few months ago. Much better than a PC... much better than a PC... the Apple girl said in the shop. Now I know the truth.

Jan 22, 2013 12:18 PM in response to Moomintroll

Oh God.. Can't believe that there are people with the same stupid problem like this. I did solve this problem last night but tonight i encounter the same problem again and can't solve it!!! The same trick won't work anymore.

Tried changing the user, deleting staff and everyone, and etc etc. but still can't open it.

****! who's permission should i ask agai before i can opent this file?!

Can anyone help me? I'm desperate already.. >,<

Feb 16, 2013 1:14 AM in response to jbass71

Me too.. I am trying to create hyperlinks to local files in PDFs using PDFPen (Preview will no longer create hyperlinks) and I am getting the same message when trying to open the file. I have checked and changed permissions for the file; I have rebooted. I am getting the absolute reference to the file by dragging the file into Safari's address field (I would like to use a relative reference but that it isa different question..)

Apr 5, 2013 12:28 AM in response to jbass71

jz follow the instruction at the link above. my mbp started giving problem after i upgraded it from OS Leopard to OS Lion.

Let my summarize what i've done to make it work 😉

1. Go to Disk Utility application. if u never knew bout this app jz find it in Spotlight

2. Select your Mac OS X startup volume in the column on the left of the Disk Utility window. (

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Click the Repair Disk Permissions button.

it may take few minutes to complete. it's working fine with my mbp 😎

User uploaded file

Jun 26, 2013 3:11 PM in response to Moomintroll

I was having the same problem while trying to copy over a Filemaker file to my iPad. The solution that worked for me was to simply unlock the iPad by entering the passcode on the lock/welcome screen!

My iPad is passcode-locked, and I had plugged it in while it was locked. Apparently, it will sync this way, but you cannot add files to it. (I guess this makes sense, so that someone who is not supposed to use you iPad can't plug it in and put files on it!)

Please let me know if this works for you.

For more info, see: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11877/~/permissions-error-when -copying-files-to-or-from-filemaker-go-using-itunes

Link added by: David Green4

Jul 3, 2013 8:57 AM in response to Moomintroll

This is a major flaw and Apple seems to be totally uninterested in sorting this out.

A long term Windows user - now been using Mac for 3 years - this has been a constant problem - with no solution that doesn't involve continuously tinkering under the bonnet and doing the same things over and again.

I am the sole user of my Mac - and am, therefore, the admin and should have full permissions for everything. I have a NAS on my home network - Windows accesses this with no problems (all permissions are correctly setup on the NAS). Can OS X deal with it properly - of course not! I am constantly running into a brick wall with permissions - telling me I don't have the correct permissions. OS X seems happy to change these randomly - what was read & write is now read only. Ridiculous. I am then not, as the admin, allowed to change them - being told I don't have the right permissions to do this.

This is a fundemental issue that needs addressing - Apple have not over the past 3 years of my experience and I don't expect they will in the future. The most advanced OS? Laughable.

Of course, following vaious threads requires the end user to either mess around in Terminal or play around with Disk Utility - both not dealing with my own files on my own NAS!

"File could not open because you do not have permission to view it."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.