Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac mini 2011 cant find bluetooth device at startup

apple keyboard A1255 and apple mouse A1197 are not detected at startup.

Had no usb Mouse.

Had to get one before system startup could continue.

Apple - shame on you!

KK

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 11:22 AM

34 replies

Apr 14, 2017 9:07 AM in response to kfrommainz

Its 2017, six years later, and this is still not resolved!

Mac Mini cant find Wireless Bluetooth keyboard it was shipped with.
To make matters worse: I use my old iMac as a screen (in target mode). Unfortunately every time a system update is due (which is quiet often), I have to restart the Mac Mini. Unfortunately it wont reboot in target mode and therefore theres no displaying of the boot process, so I have to update/restart it connected to my TV (which acts as a substitute screen) in order to go through all setups (password etc.) and finish the update. I then have to restart the iMac and connect the Mini to it (vial Thunderbolt/Mini). If lucky it works and the Mini shows up on the iMac screen.
Now, because of the keyboard issue mentioned above I have to grab my old wired iMac keyboard (which has damaged keys, like no apostrophe...) and try to set up the Bluetooth keyboard. Sure enough it doesnt find it!
Now what?! Going through Apple live support again? Theyre great but it takes time and there seems to be no real solve for this issue.

What a pain! What a shame!
I use the Mac professionally and start to seriously wonder if I can afford to go through all these hoops when clients are waiting for their stuff. Im afraid I cant if they dont fix these issues.

Cant help it but to me it really feels like things are going downhill. Its not just these two issues.

Nov 23, 2017 4:44 AM in response to Raphaelzwyer

I have a Macmini 2011 since few weeks and i noticed since using it that it won't allow me to succesfully use my Ipad Original with the Macmini 2011 over Bluetooth PAN. It would pair , but no data is transmitted. I tried with Osx Lion, Osx Mountain Lion and Mavericks.

Possibly this is related to Bluetooth 4.0 not being compatible with Original Ipad Pro which has Bluetooth 2.1 i think. I hoped to get faster Internet streaming with it, but possibly i might need a newer Ipad to use with this Macmini (INternet Sharing Ethernet to Bluetooth PAN).

Jul 27, 2011 7:02 AM in response to kfrommainz

I got the same problem here. I brought the new Mac mini yesterday, but at the startup phase, it just couldn't find my apple wireless keyboard and I couldn't input any informaion during this phase. My thinkpad and cell phone could find the keyboard and thinkpad got paired with no problem. Is this because Apple uses bluetooth 4.0 in the new Mac mini? Now I got everything but just can't use my mac...😠

Jul 27, 2011 12:13 PM in response to kfrommainz

Same issue here. Even after I had dug ye ole USB keyboard mouse out of the basement to finish setup, Bluetooth would not recognize Any of the bluetooth devices I have through the bluetooth setup assistant. I could see the Keyboard just fine from iPhone or iPad. Bluetooth is on... it's just not seeing anything. Hoping it's a software issue.... I'd hate to have to take it into the Apple store the day after it arrived.

Aug 1, 2011 9:32 PM in response to kfrommainz

I have the same problem. I just picked up a Mac Mini Lion Server yesterday (spent over $1000) and bought a brand new Blue Tooth keyboard and Trackpad. The Trackpad paired just fine, but the keyboard cannot pair. I cannot finish the installation and I don't have a USB keyboard.

This is utter BS in my opinion and they should know not to sell a BT keyboard to people who buy a Mac Mini. This is a known problem by now. At minimum they should set up and configure it for you on the spot so that you don't take your new computer home and have it not work.

I'm pretty busy and don't have time to make trips to the Genius bar to get my new computer working. This is the first time I've had a problem with an Apple product. I hope that things are not going downhill.

mac mini 2011 cant find bluetooth device at startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.