Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The document is on a volume that does not support permanent version storage.

"The document ___ is on a volume that does not support permanent version storage." It won't allow me to unlock an iWork Pages (v.4) doc. Help! I tried the manual (hovering over the title and clicking the triangle to change to unlock, but it won't do it).

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2011 1:59 PM

I presume you are trying to use Versions on a network drive or Cloud service like MobileMe or Dropbox. Versions will not work over a network.

How can I turn off Versions then? This is ridiculous! Apple is seriously working to actively fight people's use of Dropbox?

I am unable to save most of my documents now to Dropbox because of this error. I don't understand, and OSX Help has no information. "Versions" yields zero entries.

Anyone?

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2011 1:59 PM in response to igmackenzie

I presume you are trying to use Versions on a network drive or Cloud service like MobileMe or Dropbox. Versions will not work over a network.

How can I turn off Versions then? This is ridiculous! Apple is seriously working to actively fight people's use of Dropbox?

I am unable to save most of my documents now to Dropbox because of this error. I don't understand, and OSX Help has no information. "Versions" yields zero entries.

Anyone?

Jul 25, 2011 12:49 PM in response to RazorsEdge

Were you working with files on a digital camera or USB flash drive?

If so — and if the volume uses something like old MS-DOS — then the information presented by Lion is normal.

For additional information, please:

• see my post and others in a recent topic, Where exactly are old versions of files stored on the harddisk?
  • expect Apple to publish relevant details, maybe aimed at developers, in due course.

Aug 1, 2011 4:34 PM in response to RazorsEdge

For what it's worth, it happened to me on a Numbers file that was open while I was converting from legacy FileVault to the new FileVault. I suspect that the older versions of the document that were saved on the older encrypted volume don't jive with the new whole-disk FileVault encryption process.

Interestingly, it *did not* happen with two spreadsheets that were also open that I had originally created in Excel. Wierd.

I was not able to find a way to recover my earlier versions.

Aug 3, 2011 6:28 PM in response to RazorsEdge

I have found that with OS X Lion all of my network storage not a apple product is borken. Apparently they updated a version of netatalk with AFP protocol on the network and broke a large amount of NAS devices. Be aware of this if you upgrade to OS X Lion and you have Networked Attached Storage. I have a synology and a network path for my iTunes Library and Time machine backup, both were broken after updating to Lion. However synology released a DSM update (NAS software) to fix the issue. This does not however fix the versioning save in iWork when saving to a NAS.

Aug 25, 2011 5:43 AM in response to jeffmitchell

Jeff,

I can find lots of mention of Synology DS 3.2 'supporting Lion OS X'; but none of the specifics of Version storage working; I too would like to store versions on my DS.

Worryingly it seems that the beta release is not being updated - still the same build available as when released - which historically looks like this build will be used as final release.

I can't seem to get a reply or response on forums about the version storage issue working - everone is fixated on the TimeMachine issue which is assumed to be resolved.

Have you seen anything from Synology around the version storage issue being resolved or at least acknowledged?

Apr 5, 2012 2:01 PM in response to Troy Gourrier

My mini server is on 10.7.3 like my Pro. Yet the server (checked Make available for home directories over AFP) shared folder "...does not support permanent version storage." from Numbers. It does from TextEdit (Revert Document... works). So does our iDisk. So it seems more like a Numbers bug than an OS or network one.

Also see first problem with saving edited files in Numbers at

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3854253

Troy Gourrier

I am having this error as well, except the destination is the hard drive of a different computer that is also running Lion. Any idea why I would get this error in this case?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

And yet

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4218

Resolution

The document versioning feature of Lion works with Mac OS Extended (HFS+) volumes that are directly connected.

Network connections to volumes over AFP, SMB, or NFS do not preserve previous versions of a document.

but TextEdit still does anyway.

Message was edited by: Darren Hatch

May 8, 2013 7:11 AM in response to Darren Hatch

Same thing here. The document is directly connected though (extern. HD). But the HD is FAT32. Anyway, I don't need previous versions of my files to keep being automatically saved, I save them myself.. (here comes apple again treating us like idiots and stuffing our HDs with unnecessary files, like iphoto and itunes do..) In this case, should I only check the "don't show this message again"? Is there any risk of my files not getting properly stored in my ext. HD (which I use as the MAIN HD) because of this?? Thank you very much, I'm scared right now!!

The document is on a volume that does not support permanent version storage.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.