Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Disable auto hide menu bar when using full screen apps

I have been trying to find a solution for this and can't seem to find one. I prefer keeping the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Has anyone figured out how to disable the auto hide of the menu bar?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Aug 6, 2011 9:48 PM in response to webgeek24 In response to webgeek24

I'm new to apple, but, I tried the expand/shrink button at the top right corner (the two arrows) and I was able to have a (almost) full size page and see the Safari bar at the top with the clock, Batt life, etc. Then I went to view and clicked "show bookmarks bar". That seems to work for me.

Aug 6, 2011 9:48 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Aug 7, 2011 1:54 AM in response to klmcricket In response to klmcricket

Yes. Currently this is a workaround I also use.

The issue is that then the app is not flagged as full screen app. This then has effects on how the app responds. The app forexample doesn't get it's own space. This means four finger left/right scrolling doesn't work as expected.

Aug 7, 2011 1:54 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 15, 2012 7:33 AM in response to webgeek24 In response to webgeek24

webgeek24 wrote:

I have been trying to find a solution for this and can't seem to find one. I prefer keeping the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Has anyone figured out how to disable the auto hide of the menu bar?

Yes. Press the escape key.

Mar 15, 2012 7:33 AM

Reply Helpful (3)

Aug 22, 2012 7:22 AM in response to webgeek24 In response to webgeek24

User uploaded file

So I had a "duh" moment. I realized that I used the 'expand to full screen' arrows in the upper right of my Safari toolbar. If you are in full screen, you will not see them. How do you know you are in full screen? Autohide is on. Simply hit your escape button (esc). If nothing happens, click on a page, wait a moment, then hit escape. You will be dropped out of full screen, and Autohide is now off.

You will now see the expand to full screen arrows in the upper right of your Safari tool bar.

Aug 22, 2012 7:22 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: webgeek24

Question: Disable auto hide menu bar when using full screen apps