Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to save your IPhone if liquid gets inside.

After dropping my brand new IPhone into a bed pan, I googled what to do in hopes of being able to salvage my phone. Because there's so much inaccurate information on what to do in this situation, I've decided to tell you the exact steps I took to get my phone dried out and working again, same as new.

Step 1. TURN OFF YOUR PHONE IMMEDIATELY AND DO NOT POWER IT BACK ON UNTIL THE FINAL STEP HAS BEEN COMPLETED. This is extremely important. Any power to your phone while it is wet will short it out.

Step 2. If you have one, remove your sim card/tray. Let dry.

Step 3. Place the phone in a bag of uncooked rice and leave it there for at least 2 days. Make sure you remove any air from the bag. Rice is used to remove moisture from many things, such as your IPhone. Don't worry about rice getting stuck in the openings of your phone. It can be removed easily. I also added a product in the rice bag called Super Dri Aid Hearing Aid Dehumidifier. These tiny beads are designed to remove moisture fast, and work very well.

Step 4. Day 3, blow dry your phone on HIGH. I did this for an hour using WARM heat. Regardless of what you've read online, heat will not make your phone corrode worse, make the connectors break loose, or do more harm to the phone. It's going to speed up the drying process. RESIST THE TEMPTATION TO POWER ON YOUR PHONE. Again, any power to the phone before it's fully dried can/will short your phone out.

Step 5. Place your phone back into the bag of rice, where it will stay for 2 more days.

Step 6. It's now day 5. IF you have the option of leaving your phone outside in the hot sun, do so for about an hour. Afterwards, place it in a warm shady area where it will spend the full day drying. If you are in a cold climate, or it's not Summertime, wrap a heating blanket or a heating pad around the phone for 1 full day. It's fine if the phone gets hot.

Step 7. Check your phone for rice that may have gotten into any openings. Power your phone on. If your phone powers on but isn't working properly, reset your phone through ITunes. At this time you should have your phone running the same as it did before. Although my phone was working fine, I took it to a repair shop where I insisted they open it up to see if it was fully dried (which it was), and to clean off any corrosion left behind from it being submerged. There was no corrosion, and the 4 sensors that are in the IPhone which are designed to turn from white to pink when the phone is in contact with water were still white, which we didn't understand. That the phone works perfectly after taking this kind of damage really is amazing. I hope this helps others!

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 2:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 4:37 PM

Glad you got it working, but it is not the heat from the hair dryer that is the problem (unless, of course, you have one that gets very hot) it is the fact you are essentially blowing moisture farther into the device, in this case your iPhone. In your case this will probably not be a problem since most of the moisture was gone after leaving it in the baggie with the rice. But it is an unnecessary (in this case) and risky step and should not be used.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2011 4:37 PM in response to Miss.Latte

Glad you got it working, but it is not the heat from the hair dryer that is the problem (unless, of course, you have one that gets very hot) it is the fact you are essentially blowing moisture farther into the device, in this case your iPhone. In your case this will probably not be a problem since most of the moisture was gone after leaving it in the baggie with the rice. But it is an unnecessary (in this case) and risky step and should not be used.

Mar 18, 2017 3:11 PM in response to Miss.Latte

What would happen if i charge the phone or turned it on ?

hi my story is one day my mom's iphone 6s snicked inside water but not the whole phone it was the top of the phone like from the top till half of the screen and then i putted the phone in rice for 1h only i know that is bad i guess and then i said to my self lemme leave it for 1 day and after that day i can see everything works but the screen is black and i can hear the password keybored is being pressed when i try to touch the screen and i hear all voices and i can see some thing in front of the camera idk how to enplane it ( at that moment i was scared ) after that i sow your story and i just started i left it in a bag full with rice and its on and i just want to know will it being on damages the fact of its surviving .

Mar 18, 2017 7:30 PM in response to Abdulrahman Mutwia

Abdulrahman Mutwia wrote:

What would happen if i charge the phone or turned it on ?

If there is any moisture still in the phone, turning it on will cause additional corrosion. The fact that you turned it on after only about a day of letting it dry means that you've already doe the damage. Putting it in rice now is rather pointless. Your phone is not going to get better.

Jul 22, 2011 4:54 PM in response to deggie

"Glad you got it working, but it is not the heat from the hair dryer that is the problem (unless, of course, you have one that gets very hot) it is the fact you are essentially blowing moisture farther into the device, in this case your iPhone. In your case this will probably not be a problem since most of the moisture was gone after leaving it in the baggie with the rice. But it is an unnecessary (in this case) and risky step and should not be used."

Thanks. As I stated, the phone was dropped into a bed pan. Using a hair dryer would not blow moisture further into a device that's already soaked. LOL

Jul 22, 2011 5:02 PM in response to Miss.Latte

No, unless you left it lying in the bedpan for a couple of hours or so the drier would do exactly that. The tolerances are very tight on an iPhone and moisture can only enter through the heaphone jack and the dock. No matter what the moisture using the hair dryer on high risks blowing the moisture further into the device via the two openings. Again, it is an unnecessary step in your otherwise will laid out post and will not help the situation at all.

Second point, I hope the person with the bedpan was on a low salt diet. If not the salt within the urine has already done damage and will cause premature failure of a number of components within the phone. Best scenario when the iPhone has been exposed to corrosive liquids is to open it, remove the battery, rinse it in distilled water and then dry the parts with silica gel packets. Better than that: do an out-of-warranty replacement of the iPhone.

Jul 24, 2012 9:40 AM in response to Miss.Latte

Hi, I have this problem that my iphone4 was just dropped in the pool, so a question for miss latte does it really work the rice thing... Cuz I just had zip bag filled with rice and had the phone in it.... So r u sure I shouldn't give it to apple to fix it or should I just use ur advice in the rice thing and wait for a week and see?

Dec 26, 2013 10:07 AM in response to Miss.Latte

Hi,

my iphone 4s slipped into a little water(just enough to cover it).The phone still works to an extent i can see the screen and notifications but the touch isnt working so i cant answer the calls or open the messages or notifications...the sound is also damaged and i wont be able to get it to a shop till tommorow..please what can i do?

Jul 30, 2016 12:20 PM in response to Miss.Latte

Hey,

on a camping holiday, a cup of hot tea covering my entire iPhone 5c and was like that for about a good 10 minutes. No noticed it until then.. Someone recommended to me to wrap my phone in a tissue then inside a soak and spin for a few minutes everyday (which i have acted upon but haven't got anywhere). Another person told me to put it in rice but they didn't know how long for. As a result the screen has 2 fairly large cracks and has a bright to dull red streak going through the apple logo when restarted but is slowly fading.

As a result - What should i do ? 😁

How to save your IPhone if liquid gets inside.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.