Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Profile Manager suddenly stopped working

Hi all—I hope you're having better luck with Lion Server than I am...

Last night, I was having an issue with Profile Manager where I could install the self-signed SSL certificate onto an iPad, but the mobileconfig file wouldn't complete installation on the device due to "invalid signing."

Today, Profile manager wouldn't load at all, neither would the Lion Server landing page. https://foo.local/ displays:

Index of /

Apache/2.2.19 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.19 OpenSSL/0.9.8r DAV/2 PHP/5.3.6 with Suhosin-Patch Server at foo.local Port 443

https://foo.local/profilemanager displays:

Profile Manager service is turned off.

You can turn it on by using the Server app on the server.

I have tried turning Profile Manager on and off a few times from the Server app, as well as restarting the machine, which doesn't change anything.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks 🙂

Or please respond if you're having the same or similar issue so I know I'm not alone.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 11:22 PM

20 replies

Jul 23, 2011 1:14 AM in response to Toren

I basically have the same problem, though for me it *never* worked at all (I've always ended up on the "Profile Manager Service is turned off". I am on a Fresh Lion install. From the looks of it Lion Server (or Server.app more precisely) has an interesting understanding of what Apache configuration files shouls be, and apparently Apache doesn't agree it's "the right way". I seriously doubt this product has ever been tested in a decent way...

Jul 23, 2011 1:29 AM in response to Tidus3012

Mine is an upgrade from standard (non-server) 10.6.8 to Lion + Server. This is my first time running Server at home, and it would be great if it actually worked... We have at least 8 Macs, 5 iPhones, and 4 iPads at all times, plus game systems and other network services that I would really like to configure through Server so I can manage it all remotely.

Tidus, are you familiar with running Server from the command line?

Jul 23, 2011 1:33 AM in response to Toren

It's also my first time with Server. I've only been able to fix some of the SSL issues I've had with it so far thanks to my dusty knowledge of Apache. For now I'm hoping either Apple releases a fixed version of their pre-alpha Lion Server (yeah it looks pre-alpha), or that someone here can tell us what we're doing wrong...

Jul 23, 2011 1:45 AM in response to Tidus3012

For now, it looks like I've run out of things to try in the GUI to get ANYTHING working. I've shut all services down except DNS in Server Admin. If I turn DNS off, my Mac Pro Server loses it's Internet connection.

I'm really hoping for an update in the next couple days. I was excited to have a 20-minute server up and running, which quickly turned into 48 hours and counting.

Do you have an SSL certificate signed by a Certificate Authority or is it self-signed?

Jul 24, 2011 12:24 PM in response to Toren

I'm in the same boat in terms of the SSL stuff. I have profile manager working as far as the web interface and creating profiles that users can download. When it comes to adding a device to be managed however, I get the invalid signing message as well. When I go to settings on Profile Manager it says device management is enabled but when I check the box to sign configuration profiles and it asks for a certificate, my SSL's (both signed CA and self signed that I created) don't show in the list. I just get an import or none option. The import option wants me to install the certificate all over again but it is already installed and running on the server. Frustrating stuff! Anyone find a work around yet? Or do we just have to wait for an update?

Jul 24, 2011 1:53 PM in response to tolthoff

Looks like we just have to wait for an update. I'm very frustrated with it as well. My whole web interface is gone. All i get is the "Profile Manager is turned off." I also get the same message for webmail and webcal. I really hope they get an update out by Wednesday.

Again, I'm glad I'm not alone...but sorry it's not working for you either...

Jul 24, 2011 1:57 PM in response to maclvr11

Thanks for the tip, I'll check out their tutorials.

I did install the Trust Profile on my iPad before enrolling it. When I attempted to install the Enrollment Profile, it asked me for all the necessary usernames and passwords for Calendar, VPN, etc. but it falied right before completing installation. I don't remember the exact eror message but it said somthing about invalid signing.

Jul 24, 2011 2:42 PM in response to maclvr11

It looks like my profile manager is not recognizing my server settings as it does not show my ssl cert at all in the drop down when I try to do the sign configuration profiles. It is crazy because it is showing on every other service including my LDAP under server admin and it shows all of the people in my directory and allows me to do custom profiles I just can't enroll devices because it says I have an invalid profile when it comes to enrollment. I can't configure Profile Manager and go through the steps in the video because I upgraded and already had my directory set so it doesn't give a Configure option. Any other ideas out there?

Jul 26, 2011 3:32 AM in response to Toren

Hi all!

I got Device enrollment to work by simply installing all certificates given from the /mydevices-page, I think "Trust certificate" made it happen. In other words: Go to the /mydevices-page with one of your devices, install every certificate given, linger happily in the Server.app watching how the devices bond to your account.

I can't get Profile manager to work though.

Since I made a fresh install everything else works great. Open directory, web sharing and iCal (+push) is working fine. I do hope that Profile manager gets fixed through an update or some simple trick.

I also hope that this problem may solve it self when I do a second try on my newly ordered Mac mini.

Jul 26, 2011 10:32 PM in response to Toren

Hi, I hope I'm not teaching you all to suck eggs, but you might want to check that you have DNS fully configured on your network. OS X services have always been a stickler for solid FQDN - that is both forward and reverse lookups. Once you have this you should find it largely works as it says on the box.

Jul 26, 2011 10:55 PM in response to Cthulu

I strongly second Cthulu advise.

Most of my problems with services were due to the use of the Lion bundle DNS server. Its configuration and behaviour being faulty I built my own DNS zone on another server (debin with bind9) and everything worked again.

I don't know why when I use Lion's bundled DNS averything fails...with bind9 external DNS everything works great !

As Cthulu says, OSX Server is picky about DNS.

In fact on my machine almost no service would start without a proper DNS configured

Profile Manager suddenly stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.