Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VISUALLY IMPAIRED (2) - Another zoom problem!

When I stop an app using "force quit" (Cmd+Opt+Esc), after application is stopped, zoom stops work. The zoomed area doesn't follow the mouse cursor anymore. To fix this I must log-out and log-in again. Doesn anyone know this problem?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 2:47 AM

10 replies

Jul 23, 2011 10:43 AM in response to cguida1978

Hello. I too am visually impaired and I feel where you are coming from. I too am experiencing this issue and I believe it is a bug with Mac OS X Lion. What I have found is hold apple option - to return to normal screen size. Then go to apple, system preferences and accessibility. In the zoom area check off the zoom in window box and uncheck it. Zoom should start working again. I don't know why but it does.

Jul 23, 2011 4:54 PM in response to cguida1978

cguida1978 wrote:

Thanks, I'll try it. I started another post about zoom problems that were also present in 10.6. In lounchpad or expose/spaces zoomed area doesn't move with cursor? Have you found a solution??

Yea that is also a problem although I think that this is on purpose. You see the purpose of expose and spaces and mission control etc are to view everything on your screen so you are suposed to view the whole screen at once. Therefore, these functions do not support zoom. If you'd like, you can submit this as a bug or feature request at apple.com/feedback.

Jul 23, 2011 4:59 PM in response to cguida1978

I have opened a similar discussion about problems with the Universal Access Zoom see this link:

Universal Access (Accessibility) Zoom

I loose the Zoom when the computer has been idle for some time with Display Sleep on and in some other situations. I am visually impaired and I depend on this feature to be able to use my computer. Apple needs to sort this problem out as soon as possible.

Jul 23, 2011 5:10 PM in response to macfriedchikkin

I just tried Force Quit to try to test if I have the problem you describe. What I have found is that I can still invoke the Zoom using my Keyboard Shortcut but I loose the ability for the Zoomed window to follow the cursor (or what ever option one has chosen). I cannot find anyway of getting the Zoom to work properly until I Log Out or Restart.

Aug 18, 2011 10:52 AM in response to cguida1978

Hi, well I think that maybe is not need about this procedure, and surely it may seem quite "complex" but works fine for me. I suppose that a visually impaired user that can use Zoom feature, is also able to use the VoiceOver screen-reader, so this is my safe "force quit":

1. BEFORE starting "force quit" press CMD+OPT+8 to disable zoom.

2. Press CMD+F5 to enable VoiceOver

3. Press CMD+OPT+ESC to start Force Quit

4. Use VoiceOver to stop the application.

5. While still in VoiceOver close the Force Quit window.

6. Disable VoiceOver

7. Enable Zoom.

This those step all is OK! :-)

VISUALLY IMPAIRED (2) - Another zoom problem!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.