Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to update bundled iMove/iPhoto/GarageBand?

I purchased a new Air yesterday. Right out the box the App Store shows 3 updates available, one each for the bundled iMovie, iPhoto and GarageBand.

When I go to update them via the App Store I get a dialog that "You must have previously purchased the item being updated. Tap buy to purchase it now".

Of course if I try to do this it won't let me, I get another error "Purchase of this item is not currently available. The item is being modified. Please try again later".

The updates don't show in regular Software Update, and if I download the standalone updaters from Apple's support site the installer says they can't be installed and to use the App Store.

I seem to be going around in circles. Has anyone any suggestions please?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 24, 2011 2:27 AM

157 replies

Jul 24, 2011 4:24 AM in response to Paul Hutchings

What is supposed to happen is that you open App Store and log in using the same ID as you used to register the new computer. When logged in there should be a Redeem button and clicking on that should find the iLife bundled software. If it does you will have an option to add the bundled software to your 'Purchases' at no cost. Subsequently the App Store will show any updates available and allow you to update in the same way as Software Update has worked in the past.

Additionally you will be able to download any of these apps to another computer that you log in from as I understand the process.

You cannot add apps to the Purchases list which you bought from other sources including Apple. The non-bundled Apple software will continue to be updated through Software Update.

Jul 24, 2011 4:43 AM in response to Neville Mayfield

Thanks Neville. Well I definitely registered it using my Apple ID. If I hit "redeem" it finds nothing, it just asks for a Gift Card or iTunes code.

Not sure what else I'm able to do tbh? At least two other people one the forums seem to have the exact same issue so perhaps it's something Apple will address when more reports come in.

Jul 24, 2011 10:39 AM in response to Paul Hutchings

I have exactly the same problem. Bought a new Macbook Air 13" yesterday and it's still showing the 3 updates for me.

When I click 'Buy' it asks if I'm sure I want to purchase, it'll be billed to my credit card. Which obviously, I don't want to happen.

Like yourself, when I try to use Software Update it says there are no updates available. Hope this is resolved quickly!

Jul 24, 2011 4:04 PM in response to Sirolway

It seems that there is a glitch in App Store server software which will hopefully be fixed quickly. For some people it has worked but for others not.

As stated above the method is supposed to be:

1. Make sure that the computer is registered to the same ID as used in the App Store.

2. Log in to App Store using this ID.

3. Click on 'Purchases'. A Redeem button should appear.

4. Clicking on this should show the iLife bundled Apps - if I have this part correct.

5. An Accept button should apparently appear in this process which must be clicked.

I'm flying blind as my new iMac was bought a few days before Lion's release and has Snow Leopard. iLife apps were successfully updated through Software Update for me.

Jul 24, 2011 5:40 PM in response to nbasch

I am having a similar problem with my new MacMini.

It has no optical drive or install media (everything is supposed to be available from the Mac App Store)

I had an issue setting up using Migration assistant, so decided to reinstall. I have now reinstalled Lion 4 times, but none off the included apps show in the app store for me to reinstall. I have spent over two hours on the phone with AppleCare and they finally told me to e-mail iTunes support (and sortof admitted it was because they didn't know what else to do and it would get me off the phone) Its now been 24 hour with no response from iTunes support besides the immediate auto e-mail, and I'm not sure what to do.

Think I'm just going to return this Mini and buy an older model that came with restore discs...... If only there was a way to download a restore image and put it on a disc or drive....

Jul 26, 2011 9:59 AM in response to Dah•veed

Dah•veed wrote:

It sounds as if you folks are confused about the Redeem option. It appears that you are confusing the standard Redeem link in the Quick links box. That link is for iTunes gift cards. What I read Neville saying in his second comment is that you should go to the Purchases page in the MAS and find a Redeem option for the bundled apps there.

In the App Store I don't have a Purchases button.

Across the top I have "Featured", "Top Charts", "Categories", "Purchased" and "Updates"

Unable to update bundled iMove/iPhoto/GarageBand?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.