Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Target Display Mode MBA (2011,11") -> iMac (2010,27")

I am unable to set up Target Display Mode between my nice new MBA (2011,11") to my iMac (2010,27") using a Belkin MiniDisplay - MiniDisplay cable.

I assume this functionality must require a Thunderbolt cable. Any confirmation?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 2011 11" i5

Posted on Jul 24, 2011 5:55 AM

47 replies

Jul 24, 2011 7:28 AM in response to niccas

Thanks for the reply, niccas.

I'm aware of the document you quoted. However (in my case at least) the Thunderbolt to Mini Displayport connection simply does not work. The iMac I'm using works fine MiniDisplay to MiniDisplay. So, unless there is an issue with my MBA's Thunderbolt port, the fault must lie with the cable.

I note that later in the document, when speaking of txfering audio and video, it states "Make sure you use a Mini DisplayPort cable that carries both audio and video." This implies that not all Mini Displayport cables are equal. Hence my assumption that perhaps a Thunderbolt cable is required ...

I'd appreciate feedback from anyoune using MBA in Target Display Mode.

Jul 25, 2011 8:12 AM in response to Gussie Fink-Nottle

Success!!! I finally got Target Display mode working. Here's how it's done:

• Connect a Mini DisplayPort cable to the ports on each computer.
  • Boot primary computer (MBA).
  • Boot target computer (iMac).
  • Press ⌘-F2 on the keyboard of the external display computer.

The boot order is important - boot the target computer first and Target Mode won't work. This isn't apparent from the documentation.

Audio pass-through worked great too. Yay for Thunderbolt!

Aug 10, 2011 12:35 AM in response to Gussie Fink-Nottle

Thanks Gussie Fink-Nottle,

I have a late-2009 27" iMac and have use a regular mini-DisplayPort Cable to connect a MacBook and MacBook Pro fine. In the documentation, I've read that you need both computers to be awake and the iMac did magically become an external monitor while it continued to run in the background. (All 8 logical cores at 100% Folding@Home).

My question is: Have you tried to connect both computers while awake and it simply didn't work, being the only difference between mine and your setup is that I was using a MacBook and MBP with a DisplayPort instead of a ThunderBolt? (I take it the answer yes? You have tried?)

I have a feeling that if you got it to work by only those exact steps, including the cable be connected before booting either Mac, then the technology obviously works and some software and/or firmware updates may resolve this strange setup requirement / issue.

I'm glad to hear that a regular Mini-DisplayPort cable works in this case, because I have a few. I have had trouble finding any information about needing a Thunderbolt to Mini-DisplayPort Cable. I guess there is no such thing? A suppose a ThunderBolt cable, and a Mini-DisplayPort cable are two different things. A ThunderBolt cable will work on Mini-DisplayPorts, but Mini-DisplayPort cable won't work on both Thunderbolt ports? (meaning one ThunderBolt Port would be a hard drive, or something other than a display)

Again, I wonder if a "ThunderBolt" cable would work on two plain old Mini-DisplayPorts? (Also, I'm sure vise-versa wouldn't work because ThunderBolt carries power.)

Aug 10, 2011 1:31 AM in response to Gator TPK

Hi Gator,

Yes, I have tried all the different boot / connection pemutations and I could only get a connection using the method described. I was puzzled as this behaviour is not the same as described in the help file, and different to my experience with my 2010 MacMini.

I came across this article that possibly explains the behaviour. I think it likely the smaller MBA chipset simply behaves differently to other Thunderbolt Macs.

I believe you're right in your assessment of how Thunderbolt and Mini Displayport cables cables and ports combine. It certainly agrees with what I have read on the subject.

Sep 1, 2011 5:10 AM in response to Gussie Fink-Nottle

The follow information I had tried it done

1. I can make sure if the mba is old model (no thunderbolt) you can connect to 27 lcd display in mac system or windows 7 system.

2. If you have new MBA 2011 (with thunderbolt model), you can't connect 27 lcd display(old display model) in mac or windows 7, but you can connect the new 27 thunderbolt display(thunderbolt air connect to thunderbolt 27 display) .

3. if you have new mba 2011 (thunderbolt model), you can't connect 27 new imac(thunderbolt model) for target display mode in windows 7 !!!

4. if you use new 2011 mba (thunderbolt model) you only can use thunderbolt cable, mini display port cable can;t be use.

5. new mba connect via thunderbolt cable for target disk mode speed is almost 60M bytes per min.

hope the information can help you, because I ask apple support they tell me they don't make sure, I had bought it but can't use imac for targetdisplay for windows but can be use for mac via thunderbolt cable.

Sep 8, 2011 10:40 PM in response to Gussie Fink-Nottle

I've got MBA 2011 - 13" trying to connect to iMac late 2009 - 27". I couldn't get a mini display port cable Apple only had Thunderbolt cables. I've tried booting the MBA first then the iMac but I can't get the iMac in target display mode.

I can get the MBA to connect to iMac mid 2011 - 27" and I was able to kick it into target display mode with no trouble. Were they incorrect in telling me that the Thunderbolt cable would let me use it as a mini display port cable with the older iMac?

b

Sep 22, 2011 2:51 PM in response to RedHamstar

The display order Gussie Fink-Nottle mentions is indeed odd. I'll try this Friday afternoon and inform you of my findings as I have a MacBook 11 (2011) and will have available an iMac27" (2010).

I've been very peculiar about the thunderbolt / mini dispaly port compatibility on a different thread and additioanally went to the Apple store shortly after the launch of the MacBook Air's with thunderbolt to confirm all the various combinations. You can find my results here:

http://michael.olivero.com/post/2011/07/21/Thunderbold-and-MiniDisplay-Mac-Compa tibility-101.aspx

Oct 29, 2011 10:20 PM in response to RedHamstar

Command-F1 doesn't do anything on my new MBA (new as in, two days new, Thunderbolt). I have a Late-2009 27" iMac (Mini DisplayPort) and can't seem to get it into target display mode no matter what I try. "Both computers on and awake" method's a dud. Restarting both machines, in aforementioned order, with MDP cable already plugged into both machines is a dud. Command-F2 on the iMac just makes it go black, flash to blue for a second, then come back as itself. MagSafe power's plugged in during all attempts. Even if the restart method was a solution it's a bad one — I want to come home to the MBA all ready to plug in without any restarts. This no-name, $6 monoprice.com cable's really to blame? You really have to shell out $30 for a cable to get this to work right? Really?

Target Display Mode MBA (2011,11") -> iMac (2010,27")

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.