10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2014 12:00 AM by Luis Sequeira1
Maury Mccown Level 1 Level 1 (90 points)

I grabbed some video with my iPhone and imported it into FCPX. I'm ready to start editing, so I drag the clip into the timeline -- but there's no audio. Previewing the clip in the Clip window/area pays the audio just fine -- but I get nothing in the Timeline. I see the waveform, I see the meter moving like it should -- but no audio.

What am I doing wrong?

3.2GHz 8-Core Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 16GB RAM, 4TB Storage
  • Maury Mccown Level 1 Level 1 (90 points)

Okay, so I stumbled on a context menu that said "Open in timeline," and that "enabled" the audio. What the heck does that mean? How was I suppossed to know to do that?

• Yianni5 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm having exactly the same issue. When I do 'Open in Timeline' I can hear the audio but when I go back to the project timeline it doesn't play again. It also plays the audio in the preview window, just not from the main timeline. Any ideas?

• Luis Sequeira1 Level 5 Level 5 (7,200 points)

Look at the Edit->Source Media menu. Chances are that it is set to "Video only".

If that is the case, when you drag a clip to the timeline only its video will be used - seems to be the problem you are both experiencing...

• Old & Loyal Mac User Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Chances are your current project (timeline) is setup as "Surround Sound" audio but your audio monitoring is only capable of stereo. Click on the Project Libray, select your project, click on the info button, then select the little wrench tool on the right. From the popup menu, choose Stereo rather than Surround in Audio Channel menu. That should do the trick!

• Yianni5 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

That fixed it! Thank you so much. I could not figure it out. I'm curious why FCP would default to Surround Sound for the project when I imported iPhone video footage. Good to know for the future though.

Thanks again,

Yianni

• bernthis Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I cannot hear anything on any of my projects or in any of my event foldera.  I tried checking the audio and it's still in "stereo"  I went to event media and it's on 'all'.  I'm so aggravated. Why is this happening? also, the volume on my computer is on high and there are no headphones plugged in.  today is just not my day when it comes to electronics.

• oxmox11 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

I have exactly the same problem I checked all the suggestions here but still have no sound unless I click on open in timeline  but as soon as I switch back the sound is gone.

Are you sure the audio is there in the project? Do you see the audio waveforms? 

Could you accidentally have set Edit->Source Media to "video only"?

In the picture below, you can see two clips, one with audio, one without.

Screen Shot 2013-04-02 at 7.33.41 AM.png

• rlib3 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Luis!  Hi, it's me again...the person with the conversion issues?  Anyway, that has been solved thankfully.  My new problem is what has been mentioned in this thread.  Audio in Clip Viewer but not when dropped in the Timeline.  I attempted the fixes suggested in this thread but I'm using FCP Version 4.0.1 (old, I know) and the steps given aren't the same.  The first part of my project has audio in the Timeline...I'm guessing I clicked or unchecked something...I've looked everywhere and can't figure it out.  Even pulled out the manual!  Let me know if you have any suggestions and thank you in advance!

rlib3 wrote:

Luis!  Hi, it's me again...the person with the conversion issues?  Anyway, that has been solved thankfully.  My new problem is what has been mentioned in this thread.  Audio in Clip Viewer but not when dropped in the Timeline.  I attempted the fixes suggested in this thread but I'm using FCP Version 4.0.1 (old, I know) and the steps given aren't the same.  The first part of my project has audio in the Timeline...I'm guessing I clicked or unchecked something...I've looked everywhere and can't figure it out.  Even pulled out the manual!  Let me know if you have any suggestions and thank you in advance!

I have not used older versions in a while, but I guess you may have disconnected the little "a1" from the big "A1" as seen in the image below. Drag to reconnect them. If this is not it, then I can only suggest you ask this in the Final Cut Studio forum (or Final Cut Express forum - I imagine that is what you are using).

Screen Shot 2014-07-23 at 7.51.44 AM.png