Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Launchpad app icons keep moving

Every time I turn my MacBook Pro on, I see that all my launchpad apps have rearranged themselves from their previously organised state! Is anyone else having this problem and is there a way to get them to just stay still?

13, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 12:02 AM

44 replies

Aug 21, 2011 7:51 PM in response to LookingSkyward

Icons moved a lot after initial Lion installation.

Talked to Apple Care. Reinstalled Lion. Icons moved a little less.

Installed Lion update. Icons moved a little late, but still annoying.

Couldn't find a lot on the interweb machines on the topic. But found this discussion and this...

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20087145-263/how-to-reset-and-manage-the-os -x-10.7-launchpad-interface/

Used the suggestion in the last paragraph and, fingers crossed, they aren't moving. This took a lot of work due to starting from scratch.

Oct 10, 2011 1:15 PM in response to superjazbo

I was having the same annoying problem. For the first month, all of my icons would load where I left them. Suddenly, a few days back they started picking their own random places.

I attempted the fix noted above: Navigated to the library/application support/dock and deletd the database file (extension .db). This reset the launchpad and created a new .db in its place.

The reset forced me to relocate all of the icons, but since doing that, the random rearranging has ceased. It seems to work, at least temporarily. I am not sure what caused it to start happening in the first place.

2011 - MBA - 10.7.1

Oct 14, 2011 11:45 PM in response to superjazbo

This is still happening in 10.7.2 and it is the most annoying aspect of Lion for me. I love Launchpad and I have arranged it very nicely but each time I reboot my icons rearrange themselves. Lion constantly discourages me from keeping any kind of organization for Launchpad. I miss the days when things "just worked." This is just unacceptable coming from Apple. I have better expectations of them than this.

Launchpad app icons keep moving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.