I'm not sure if this problem was present prior to updating to Lion from the latest 10.6, but I can't seem to disable file sharing using SMB on my MBP. I've only known to have used my login password as the same login when I activated SMB share a while back, and now all I get when using the same password is "Incorrect Password". I've tried implementing most of the suggestions I've found in this forum and on the web and that included resetting the password in System Preferences > Users & Groups (Accounts). I logged in using another admin account and it would not also let me turn off SMB sharing and returning an error "Incorrect Password" whenever I typed in what I believe to be the correct password (which is the user/admin pw used to log into the account currently being used). I have also tried: looking through the System Preferences > Security & Privacy (in hopes that FileVault has a hand in this, and it is currently off), then tried repairing Keychain (newp), and lastly, changed the Master Password to no avail. The one suggested fix I didn't try is creating a new user account and migrating all my files to that account. I'd rather not since that is way too much hassle just to turn off SMB sharing.
If anyone has ideas on how to reset or turn off file sharing using SMB, or knows how to resolve this issue, please post some help as this is driving me batty.
PS. Also another unrealted question: Is AirDrop not supported on a 2008 MBP? For the life of me, I couldn't find AirDrop anywhere on my mac (looked at the sidebar and prefs to enable it and it's not there as an option). My card type is an AirPort Extreme (802.11 a/b/g/n -- with firmware Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0)
First time poster here, but long time mac user. But I foud the solution to this problem and recon this maybe the solution for more people.Not Native English so if something is not clear please ask and I will elaborate.
This is (very) technical solution, be careful with it, as itcan truly mess up your account.
It includes editing the file that stores your account info/password/etc.
The file is a plist file so some converting needs to be done.
Also all editing is done with vi and I used sudo to acces the file.
- Locate the file /var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/users/<user>.plist
- MAKE A BACKUP of the file
- MAKE A BACKUP of the file
- Copy the file to a location to edit it
- Convert the file with ‘plutil’ so it becomereadable
- Open the file and find the entry at ‘authentication_authority’
- In my file I found 2 lines in the entry
<string>;Kerberosv5;;<ACCOUNTNAME>@<lotsof extra info……..></string>
- THE FIX is to SWTICH these 2 lines around, so the line with ‘SMB-NT’ is the first line
My entry after the switch looked like
<string>;Kerberosv5;;<ACCOUNTNAME>@<lots of extra info……..></string>
- Save the file and convert it back with ‘plutil’
- Copythe file ‘over’ the old file in /var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/users/
- Trydisabling and re enabling the setting now in system preference.
For those curious on how I found:
Created a new account where I was able tochange the setting (like people already figured out).
Now using the find command I located all files changed in the last 5 minutes.
Found the files in /var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/users/ Looked around on the webon what information is stored in there. Came to the conclusion that this mustbe the file holding the info.
Started comparing the files of the 2 users (1 where it was working and 1 whereit was not) and noticed the difference in the ordering of the lines.
Changed the lines around and this did it. …… wooohooooo