Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages/Appleworks compatibility

I am looking to upgrade to Lion, but have to find alternatives to things like Appleworks, Quicken '07, etc. Will Pages '09 be able to read my Appleworks docs? I do have the most recent (final?) version of Appleworks and currently am using OS 10.6.8 until I'm sure everything I have will still work.

Intel Core i3 iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 6:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 7:19 PM

Check out this previous posting,

18 replies

Jul 26, 2011 11:55 PM in response to Tom Hayes1

You read this : http://www.wilmut.webspace.virginmedia.com/notes/aw/page1.html

Stay on Snow Leopard until you feel you have learnt the new applications and got all AW you want converted.

I will not upgrade to Lion at precent time. I like how Snow Leopard works. I will wait untill I need to upgrade my machine. I have though the last two years slowly weened myself off AW thoguh.

Jul 27, 2011 5:47 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

PeterBreis0807 wrote:

Pages reads AppleWorks v6 WP files, Numbers reads AppleWorks v6 spreadsheets.

Peter

Better write :

Pages reads most of AppleWorks v6 WP files, Numbers reads most of AppleWorks v6 spreadsheets

and Keynote read most of AppleWorks v6 PR files.

And of course I add that if you go to my iDisk:

<http://public.me.com/koenigyvan>

and download :

For_iWork:iWork '09:AWdraw2iWork.zip

you will be able to import most of AppleWorks Draw documents in Pages.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) mercredi 27 juillet 2011 14:46:14

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.0

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

To be the AW6 successor, iWork MUST integrate a TRUE DB, not a list organizer !

Jul 27, 2011 11:24 AM in response to Tom Hayes1

Tom, as an old AppleWorks user and an iWork fan, the one big piece of advice I'd give you is very similar to fruhulda's - keep using AppleWorks until you are up to speed with iWork. If you want to experience Lion you can install it on an external drive or another parition. I love iWork but the workflow is very different from AppleWorks and you may sometimes be tempted to use some words that cannot be used on TV or radio in the US. But keep at it, iWork is pretty darn good.

Also, I think the best way to learn iWork is to start with a new project, not something that already exists. Ironically, I think it was harder to edit files I already had than it was to work my way through a new document. Once I was comfortable with iWork I started importing and editing documents as I needed them.

Jul 27, 2011 1:15 PM in response to dwb

As I already wrote in other threads, we may reasonably hope to be able to virtualize Snow Leopard in Lion as we may virtualize Windows (or Lion itself).

This would be a viable way to work with AW.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) mercredi 27 juillet 2011 22:15:00

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.0

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

To be the AW6 successor, iWork MUST integrate a TRUE DB, not a list organizer !

Jul 27, 2011 1:46 PM in response to KOENIG Yvan

To do so legally we'll need Apple to change the Snow Leopard license or we'll have to buy a copy of Snow Leopard Server. At present I believe both VMWare and Parallels keep casual users from breaking Apple's EULA by not letting you install Snow Leopard and VirtualBox requires a bit of trickery. Meanwhile, creating a 20GB partition isn't onorous.

Jul 27, 2011 3:50 PM in response to dwb

@dwb: Thanks, dwb, that is excellent advice. I'm an older user (58) and I've been with Mac since my Apple II and Clarisworks. Each transition was an ordeal. As a writer, I still remember the transition from yellow legal pads and pencils to a word processor and floppy disks. It was certainly different. Since the final iteration of Snow Leopard is so very stable, I have no plans to go onto Lion until I am completely comfortable in the new software environment. My biggest beef right now is more with Quicken than with Appleworks, and that's on Intuit, not Apple. Shame on them for not giving loyal Mac users a decent modernization since 2007! On t'other hand, though, I love Quicken '07 and do not get what I need from Q. Essentials for Mac. The big hunt now is for a good Lion-compatible personal finance software that will work with my old Quicken data and is Lion-friendly when I'm ready to move up.

Pages/Appleworks compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.